What Happened To Air Rifle Silhouette?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

What Happened To Air Rifle Silhouette?

Post by atomicbrh »

Checking the calendar on the latest issue of ShootingSportsUSA only 4 Match locations are listed:
ARKANSAS, Benton: OP, SPT, TAR, May 2&30, Aug. 1&29, Oct. 3&31, Nov. 7, A; C. Sullivan, 4100 Bowman Rd., Little Rock, AR 72210; cds2727@comcast.net
CALIFORNIA, Sylmar: OP, May 23, Jun. 27, Jul. 25, Aug. 22, Sep. 26, Oct. 24, Nov. 28, Dec. 26, A; H. Alfaro, 1485 Locust St. #5, Pasadena, CA 91106; alfacentorie5@aol.com
LOUISIANA, Winnsboro: OP, SPT, TAR, May 2, Jul. 4, Aug. 1, Sep. 5, A; B. Finley, P.O. Box 216, Calhoun, LA 71225; alan.finley59@gmail.com
MISSISSIPPI, Brandon: OP, SPT, TAR, May 16, Jun. 20, Sep. 12, Oct. 10&24, Nov. 7, A; B. Huddleston, 133 Jamison Ct., Brandon, MS 39042; atomicbrh@hotmail.com
What happened to all the others?
Air Rifle has to be held in more than four places! Air Rifle is so easy to hold almost anywhere. What happened?
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: What Happened To Air Rifle Silhouette?

Post by High Speed »

atomicbrh wrote:Checking the calendar on the latest issue of ShootingSportsUSA only 4 Match locations are listed:
ARKANSAS, Benton: OP, SPT, TAR, May 2&30, Aug. 1&29, Oct. 3&31, Nov. 7, A; C. Sullivan, 4100 Bowman Rd., Little Rock, AR 72210; cds2727@comcast.net
CALIFORNIA, Sylmar: OP, May 23, Jun. 27, Jul. 25, Aug. 22, Sep. 26, Oct. 24, Nov. 28, Dec. 26, A; H. Alfaro, 1485 Locust St. #5, Pasadena, CA 91106; alfacentorie5@aol.com
LOUISIANA, Winnsboro: OP, SPT, TAR, May 2, Jul. 4, Aug. 1, Sep. 5, A; B. Finley, P.O. Box 216, Calhoun, LA 71225; alan.finley59@gmail.com
MISSISSIPPI, Brandon: OP, SPT, TAR, May 16, Jun. 20, Sep. 12, Oct. 10&24, Nov. 7, A; B. Huddleston, 133 Jamison Ct., Brandon, MS 39042; atomicbrh@hotmail.com
What happened to all the others?
Air Rifle has to be held in more than four places! Air Rifle is so easy to hold almost anywhere. What happened?
Good question?
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

It died.
Deau-we
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Deau-we »

There is a club shoot in Baton Rouge on the second Sunday of each month all year long unless the weather is bad. Target, Sporter and Open.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

2015 was the first year we held the match, but we plan to host a yearly indoor air rifle match in Louisiana. We were very pleased with how well the first match went and are in hopes that it will grow in the future.

http://www.teamhatchshootingfacility.co ... l-results/
http://www.teamhatchshootingfacility.co ... oop-shoot/

I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Deau-we wrote:There is a club shoot in Baton Rouge on the second Sunday of each month all year long unless the weather is bad. Target, Sporter and Open.
Yeah we shoot air rifle silhouette a lot in Baton Rouge, including the National Championships in March and a state championship in November.

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Cowboy silhouette killed it.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

We have and still do run air rifle and air pistol silhouette in the Philadelphia, PA area. We have a match this sunday at Falls Twsp. Rifle & Pistol Assn. We run both silhouette and airgun field target alternating months in warmer weather. Unfortunately some clubs run this stuff and they don't bother to affiliate for whatever reason and then it does not appear on the schedules you look at. I know at least two local clubs that run some form of airgun silhouette but do not bother with NRA approval. In the case of the NRA they seem to take a long time to get matches listed. Our silhouette matches are approved NRA matches and our Field Target matches are AAFTA sanctioned.
What happens is simply that people get tired of running the matches and move on for various reasons and for whatever reason ( there are many) nobody picks up the slack when someone steps away.
If there are no matches then the sports will perish. it's a shame because airgun shooting has lots of advantages over other shooting sports. Air pistol silhouette is absolutely the easiest and cheapest to run and to participate in. Max distance is 18 yards and you can get equipment that is competitive for well under $300!
Richard
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Then, why are the Baton Rouge monthly Air Rifle matches not listed in the NRA Schedule of Events? Houston, Beaumont and Haltom City, TX. must still be hosting monthly matches. I cannot see those folks stopping. Why are they not listed in the Schedule of Events? The Shooting Sports USA Schedule was how my family found Silhouette 15 years ago and a listing there will help other people find it. There must be a lot of NRA matches that are not listed.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I agree about the worthiness of Air Pistol, Richard. We need to start hosting a weekday night Air Pistol series here.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I'd start running a match at PSC in a heartbeat if we could generate more than 4 people. That's why Greg stopped running the highpower matches. I have an extra set of targets and we could run pistol and rifle simultaneously, but I just don't see the interest. Same with the 1/5th scale open sight matches. 2 people brought rifles last match. If we get the same response next match, I'm done.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

psteiger wrote: . Same with the 1/5th scale open sight matches. 2 people brought rifles last match. If we get the same response next match, I'm done.
What tha Deuce?!?!? After I spent thousands of dollars with a world renown gunsmith who built the most incredible 1/5 scale open sight rifle ever?!?!? You know the waiting list for that!?!??!
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I KNEW that headache caused brane damage.......

I'll shoot open sights any time. You know that.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I am going to continue to host Air Rifle Silhouette even if only the wife and I shoot. I would still be hosting Smallbore at the closest public range no matter the lack of attendance but there was too much demand for the range time to justify taking the range over for a handful of silhouette shooters. I still cannot believe the local attendance here at the USPSA matches. Over 160 USPSA shooters for each local monthly match. I have shot USPSA Steel challenge type matches but I stopped because you worked all day and put lead downrange a total of 2 minutes. Sweating out in the sun from 7 A.M. to 2 P.M. with no lunch break to be on the timer for 2 minutes of fun was not worth it.