Competitors Meeting at Ridgway -change

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Competitors Meeting at Ridgway -change

Post by yankee »

After attending both competitor meetings at the nationals last week in Ridgway I will report this.
The changes in the current system are being suggested by the competition division which is what the silhouette dept. comes under. What was read in the Shooting Sports was a surprise to all the Silhouette committee members and every one else. Nothing was discussed with them before the announcement in Shooting Sports. All shooters present at the meetings and members of the silhouette committee did not like the idea of the changes and the proposed new system. The silhouette committee members present said they would let the competition division know our thoughts.
If you want to keep the old system, which is not broke, you need to write to the silhouette department and express your views. All letters will be used as ammunition against the change. It would also be good to send a copy to the head of the competition division who wrote the article in Shooting Sports and advise him you will not stand for the change. I do not have the name of that person. Someone may have the copy and may post his name. You may want to include that silhouette is our sport and we can shoot it with or with out the NRA.
Chad Stamm
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Competitors Meeting at Ridgway -change

Post by Snake »

I don't see a problem with either classification system....they remain methods of classification, period. Nothing to get stoked about. But I will venture this observation.....NO sport develops, remains meaningful, and has broad appeal except with a sanctioning body...furthermore from an insurance stand point some clubs won't hold unsanctioned events because of liability issues that the presence of a sanctioning body ameliorates......examine drag racing for example when the hot rodders got upset with the NHRA and were going to go it alone....they went no where.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Should we send letters of support of the new system to the same location?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Snake, do I have to remind you Canadian shooters broke away from the shooting federation and they are making a go of it........ It is not impossible. The reason they broke away was because they were getting NO support and they still had the federation fees and politics. I would suppose one of our Canadian friends could tell us more about it.
Ferret Master
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ferret Master »

The problem will be the cost. The additional per match cost of between $4.50 and $5.50 per match will add up quickly if you participate in multiple silhouette disciplines which many of us do. Our club is looking at only holding one sanctioned match a year if this change is made. My wife and I shoot an average of 10 matches a month each, that's an extra $100.00 per month tax on our shooting.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have sent the NRA comp division 3 or 4 e-mails and have received NO response from them other than the auto response that they got my e-mail. I really would like to know what the hell is going on that a person can't respond even something as simple as 'screw you'. I have ask them 3 times what year the change was made from 'light rifle' to 'hunter rifle'. They also need to clear the air on the classification changes. These rumors have been floating around all summer.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Jerry,
Every year, I get a response from the NRA to my letters. Sometimes it takes months, but it always comes, even if I didn't specifically ask a question that required a response. Sometimes, it comes by phone, usually it comes by classic mail. I suspect you will hear something if you sent them a reasonable note. They are not very keen on email conversations.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

They need to be drug into the 20th century kicking and screaming............... they aren't ready for the 21st yet.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Given they way people talk to and about them, I don't expect they are in any hurry.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

After waiting a half year without a reply, I guess I should say they are real up front people and right on top of everything. Having been a life member since 1968, I can't begin to tell you how many letters I got from them asking me for money. They are right on top of that deal.

What could be so hard to let me know what year they changed 'light rifle' to 'hunter rifle'. I do know it is somewhere around 1992. Give or take a couple.
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

My State record listing says the 1st year of 'light' rifle was 1984 and the 1st year of 'hunting' rifle was 1987. The only year of 'open' was 1994. Hope that helps Jerry. Good shooting at MT Invitational.
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Thanks Roger.

Attached is a brief history of our sport.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

Jer, Who furnished the timeline? I disagree with the Open date listed. I stick with the 1994 date as I held the State match and determined all 3 division champions. The trophy on the wall is dated 1994 not 1997. Best wishes Roger
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I picked parts and pieces from;

Gates Book on silhouette
Jerry's site in PHX
Tucson R & P site
and Roger's post

If I have any errors, please let me know so I can correct them.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Whatever will be, will be.....with me. I'm not all excited about any hoopla over possible Classification Silhouette change. When I see it, I will believe it. I'm happy the NRA Tournament Division has NOT sent me any notices the past 2 seasons saying they have not received my tournament fee OR missing the Jury card! :ymparty: :ymapplause:

I was taken off their call list some time ago and have to determine how to be removed from their mail list that goes into my recycling bag. :mrgreen:
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/