Ideal beginner Contender rig for silhouette?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
MatthewVanitas
Unclassified Poster

Ideal beginner Contender rig for silhouette?

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I'm looking to get back into a T/C Contender since I've always been drawn by the simplicity and versatility of the platform. I also shot a IHMSA match 5 years back or so with a Ruger MkII and really enjoyed it, so I figure trying some handgun silhouette matches would be a great justification for a T/C.

I've been trying to read up on the topic, but the info on IHMSA and NRA Silhouette is fragmented and dated, scattered all over the internet. I have some pretty basic questions that I'm not totally clear on that I'd like to run by y'all.

For context, I'd be willing to buy a new receiver/barrel/sights, so reasonable budget for quality but not crazy stuff. On the spectrum, I'd prefer those cartridges which are low blast/recoil while being "just enough" to knock down silhouettes. Both because I'm not a fan of huge blast (used to be in the artillery), and also as a personal value/challenge would enjoy working on the finesse aspect. I'm still young-ish (for the sport) and have better that 20/20 vision, so iron sights sound good. Here's the questions:

-- Is there any reason to strongly favor a pre-G2 Contender over a new G2? I've heard some grumbling that the old ones are better, but is that a serious "the best shooters would never use a G2", or more a Ford-Chevy argument, with some nostalgia mixed in? I really want stainless, since I'm one of those guys whose sweat causes rust faster than usual, so that limits my options for the pre-G2. And whichever receiver I get, should I have a trigger job and/or spring replacement done on it first thing, or is that only worth doing once I build up my skills?

-- For barrels, I've read up on it and I'm pretty convinced that I'd want a .22 Hornet for Field Pistol and Hunter's, and 6.5 TCU for Big Bore. Pretty sold on those since they both look reasonably easy to load for, low blast/kick, inexpensive to load for, etc. I'd probably just get the Hornet first and see where I go from there.

-- The part I get confused on is the current barrel length rules and definition of "Production". Is it just NRA that accepts Fox Ride "custom" T/C barrels as stock/production, or IHMSA too? Since T/C makes only as short as 12", does that mean I for IHMSA I positively need to find an old Hornet barrel to be properly in Production class? Would a 10" Hornet barrel for Hunter/FP, and a 14" TCU barrel for BB, be the best compromise for being able to shoot in those two categories?

-- For a beginner, is there much utility at all to getting more custom barrels where I have choices for twist and throating, or is having higher quality barrels outweighed by the disadvantages of having to shoot Unlimited with custom barrels, and thus presumably higher standards?

-- It seems that some of the iron sight options that used to be on the market (Marten's, etc) are gone. Are the Ken Light and the EABCo ScopeRib III the main specialized T/C options? Is an aperture rear allowed in either NRA or IHMSA, or is a rear notch always the best bet? And am I right that since both of those use the standard T/C tapped holes, they still count as Production?

I think those are the main things I'm unclear on so far, so if anyone has tips, I'd appreciate it!
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Ideal beginner Contender rig for silhouette?

Post by xpilot »

Probably better posted in the handgun section.........
MatthewVanitas
Unclassified Poster

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I thought about that, but Handguns has posts from literally over four years ago on the first page, so I thought it made sense to post here to get a larger concentration of readers.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

I have seen several 7/30 Waters for sale recently.
6.5 is a great caliber. I still prefer to have more stock and barrel though!
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.