It's just not the same, Kb ramblings

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

It's just not the same, Kb ramblings

Post by kevinbear »

We often read on here how we/someone needs to promote silhouette like other pastimes in the US. I live in a neighborhood where we all know each other and on any given weekend neighbors are hanging out together, most of them are golfers. Also and very much unlike silhouette or any other shooting game for that matter drinking alcohol, smoking and eating is very much part of the activities, they've been working hard all week and want to unwind.
Shooting sports are not like that and especially silhouette, that being said I have no problem getting any of them to shoot a couple of rounds of skeet because it's a light hearted activity, mostly we don't even keep score although I'm always aware of mine.
They like doing it the morning because it's a short time frame to commit to, it doesn't conflict with barbeques, Nascar or afternoon cocktails.
Silhouette is a big commitment, especially the two disciplines I shoot, smallbore and highpower. The guns are expensive, in highpower you must reload the ammunition, another commitment of time and money. People that are successful in this game typically aren't involved in much else.
We are not normal shooters let alone normal people, I would venture to guess that nearly everyone on here today owns a Anschutz 22 in some form, do any of your non-silhouette shooting friends have any 22 that costs anywhere near what your gun does....no.
If your a highpower silhouette shooter does any of your shooting friends spend endless hours making ammunition, not likely.
I touched on this earlier but it's my belief that next to benchrest silhouette is probably the most difficult shooting game there is, most shooters don't want to work that hard at a leisure activity.
I'm ok with that, most folks are not nearly as focused on there hobby as we are, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them, they work 5-6 days a week and want to goof off or spend time with children or whatever the other days.
What I'm trying to express is this game is never going to be wildly popular, number one at the top of the list is it's to difficult for most people, they want go do something on the weekend for a short period of time then drink, mow the lawn and watch tv and talk about ball sports, they certainly don't want to compete against people who are really good at something, lose miserably then have it published on the internet.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: It's just not the same, Kb ramblings

Post by Boyd L. »

Agreed. This game is hard. Not everyone is going to love it and doing the things it takes just to be average at this game.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kevinbear wrote:We often read on here how we/someone needs to promote silhouette like other pastimes in the US. I live in a neighborhood where we all know each other and on any given weekend neighbors are hanging out together, most of them are golfers. Also and very much unlike silhouette or any other shooting game for that matter drinking alcohol, smoking and eating is very much part of the activities, they've been working hard all week and want to unwind.
Shooting sports are not like that and especially silhouette, that being said I have no problem getting any of them to shoot a couple of rounds of skeet because it's a light hearted activity, mostly we don't even keep score although I'm always aware of mine.
They like doing it the morning because it's a short time frame to commit to, it doesn't conflict with barbeques, Nascar or afternoon cocktails.
Silhouette is a big commitment, especially the two disciplines I shoot, smallbore and highpower. The guns are expensive, in highpower you must reload the ammunition, another commitment of time and money. People that are successful in this game typically aren't involved in much else.
We are not normal shooters let alone normal people, I would venture to guess that nearly everyone on here today owns a Anschutz 22 in some form, do any of your non-silhouette shooting friends have any 22 that costs anywhere near what your gun does....no.
If your a highpower silhouette shooter does any of your shooting friends spend endless hours making ammunition, not likely.
I touched on this earlier but it's my belief that next to benchrest silhouette is probably the most difficult shooting game there is, most shooters don't want to work that hard at a leisure activity.
I'm ok with that, most folks are not nearly as focused on there hobby as we are, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them, they work 5-6 days a week and want to goof off or spend time with children or whatever the other days.
What I'm trying to express is this game is never going to be wildly popular, number one at the top of the list is it's to difficult for most people, they want go do something on the weekend for a short period of time then drink, mow the lawn and watch tv and talk about ball sports, they certainly don't want to compete against people who are really good at something, lose miserably then have it published on the internet.

Maybe I should sell my 1712 and get a shotgun; ammo is certainly available!

I suck at Silhouette too so maybe I will just go blow clay pigeons out of the air?

**==
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Have you priced out a bag of shot in the past year? 25 lb bag is over $50. How do you find a shotgun for skeet, trap, or sporting clays for under $1,000? That sport ain't cheep but you can shoot a 100 shot round of sporting clays in less than 2 hours. A 25 shot round of trap can be shot in less than 30 minutes. Like Kev said, silhouette is hard, and it is a commitment that takes up most of a day just to shoot a match. Not for the 'shits and giggles' crowd.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

David, why not just shoot the clays WITH your 1712?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

It is not just the sport that is failing, everything good about living in the US is ending. Including us.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Kevin, you and several others must have been participating in one of those many neighborhood activities you mentioned. We had 13 for HP heavy gun, 11 for hunter. We should have had 20 plus! Conditions were nice. I am only allowed to schedule HP once a month, not three and sometimes four like SB. We need shooters to show up! ~x(
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

SqHunter wrote:It is not just the sport that is failing, everything good about living in the US is ending. Including us.

I think the "woe is me" thing is a whole lot oversold around here. It's not the end of the world any more than it was when our parents were the age we are now and were saying exactly the same thing.

I don't think silhouette is any harder than lots of things. Lots and lots and lots of things. If it was hard, it wouldn't be any fun and it sure is a whole bunch of fun. Right now the popular shooting sports involve black plastic and fast shooting. It's not for me, but I don't see it as any easier than BPCR for instance. Just a lot less fun.

The way some folks talk, "it's the end of the world as we know it." Or, "life in America really sucks and it's XYZ's fault." etc etc just turn people off, simply because hanging out with a bunch of naybobs of negativity gets old really fast for lots of people - and most folks want to have FUN, not listen to bitchin' and moanin' about the end of the world.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my second weekend match coming up. It is, in many ways, the most important match of the year for me, and most of all, it will be a hell of a lot of fun. Which no one would guess, listening to all the gunners on the internet these days...

:roll:
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Have you priced out a bag of shot in the past year? 25 lb bag is over $50. How do you find a shotgun for skeet, trap, or sporting clays for under $1,000? That sport ain't cheep but you can shoot a 100 shot round of sporting clays in less than 2 hours. A 25 shot round of trap can be shot in less than 30 minutes. Like Kev said, silhouette is hard, and it is a commitment that takes up most of a day just to shoot a match. Not for the 'shits and giggles' crowd.
I was thinking of joining the "shits and giggles crowd." Ah hell, who am I kidding. I do enjoy shooting silhouette a lot and I am not about to stop now.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

OldRanger wrote:David, why not just shoot the clays WITH your 1712?
Why not, my groups look like a shotgun pattern whenever I sight in my rifle.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

If you're lucky enough to live long enough things will change enough to piss you off sometimes. So adapt and enjoy, and teach a youngster about something you enjoy - they might surprise you.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Jerry G wrote: Not for the 'shits and giggles' crowd.
You nailed it Jerry.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:Kevin, you must have been participating in one of those many neighborhood activities you mentioned. We had 13 for HP heavy gun, 11 for hunter. We should have had 20 plus! Conditions were nice. I am only allowed to schedule HP once a month, not three and sometimes four like SB. We need shooters to show up! ~x(
Sorry, I woke up with full intentions of going but felt like I had a hangover!!! Throbbing headache subsided about 3pm, my wife had the same thing last week, something going around I guess.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

BCloninger wrote:If you're lucky enough to live long enough things will change enough to piss you off sometimes. So adapt and enjoy, and teach a youngster about something you enjoy - they might surprise you.
This is true. I work with them everyday, that is why I have my viewpoint. The short of it is the last two generations of Americans have been lost.

This has been a long time coming, but its here.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

SqHunter wrote:
BCloninger wrote:If you're lucky enough to live long enough things will change enough to piss you off sometimes. So adapt and enjoy, and teach a youngster about something you enjoy - they might surprise you.
This is true. I work with them everyday, that is why I have my viewpoint. The short of it is the last two generations of Americans have been lost.

This has been a long time coming, but its here.
I would disagree, I see the 18-23 year olds are much more cynical of government, much more libertarian minded. I train new people at my company every spring, the current crop is better than I've seen in years. I don't have an explanation for it but they seem to have a better work ethic than the ones in the previous 4-5 years.