Trail Boss

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Trail Boss

Post by Tlee »

glen ring wrote:....(snip) I use a jacketed 150 or 170 grain bullet over IMR-4759 for about 1600 fps and it's very comfortable to shoot.
Glen -

I thought we agreed we weren't gonna tell the world about our "secret load"...
Oh well, since that powder is "no longer available", I guess we can let the cat outta the bag, LOL!

See you in a couple weeks,

-Tim
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I use 10.0 grains of Trail Boss with the 110-grain 30 carbine bullets for chickens, and during load development Trail Boss worked fine with bullets up to 150 grains. I never got stellar accuracy that would beat my Varget/CFE223 loads, but they were easily good enough to take every chicken and most pigs and turkeys. I gave up on using it for anything other than chickens the day that I hit all 10 turkeys (the last animal that I need for CLA grand slam) and two of them didn't fall.

Only getting up to 650fps with a 150 gr bullet doesn't match my data, IMR's, or anyone else that I know of. That sounds like there was definitely something going wrong there. My data is all using jacketed bullets, not cast, out of a 1980s Marlin 336 RC and a 1948 vintage 336A. I believe that I've used Remington and Hornady 110gr carbine bullets, Speer 110gr HP (didn't feed well so stopped using them), Speer 130s, and Speer and Remington 150s with Trail Boss so far.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Tim 4759 may get scarce now. We plan on seeing you guys at Mexia. Jeanne has tried a new load with H4895 with a cast bullet and it seems to work well. We can find H4895 almost anywhere so we may eventually go to that powder.
Just Be Nice **==
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Glen Ring, you should try v-110, v-105, or maybe even 3n38 in place of your 4759. Almost the same bulk density and single based like imr. Should be about the same results and charges. Maybe take it down a notch when you go faster like v-3n38.
Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.