Speer vs Sierra bullets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Speer vs Sierra bullets

Post by snaketail2 »

Has anyone compared the Speer 130gr FN bullet to the Sierra 125gr FNHP bullet?
If I used the same powder charge with both, which would perform better for me (not including rams)?
Yes Al Foust can comment too.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Speer vs Sierra bullets

Post by dustinflint »

I've used both with the same charge. Same POI.

Dustin
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Same Poi for me also on chicken and pigs. Little off for turkeys.
I like the sierras because they are more a varmint bullet and seems to be less painful on the chickens.
Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

Ditto what's been said. I shoot them pretty much interchangeably. I think I prefer the Speer over the Sierra's for the Pigs and turks. Frankly, however not much difference. I shoot a pretty potent load of 748, I've listed before. I dont even adjust between the two.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Just FYI, I've been using the Speer 130gr as my ram bullet as well.
Better BC and tough construction makes it do well for me. Only problem is it would just tear up the chickens.
Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I don't run the 130s very hot - below "starting" loads. I've taken rams with them, but I trust the 170s more. My reason for asking about the Speer 130s vs Sierra 125s is the Sierra outlet store...Its on a few minutes out of my way when I drive to matches in Topeka, and the price is certainly right. I'm planning to shoot the 125s (factory seconds, blemished coloring etc) in local matches and save the 130s for the regionals and the nationals.

Now - about this snow! I thought it was Spring. It snowed much of the day and is suppose to snow more tonight!

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Snaketail2, You don't think I'd be biased do you? You should really consider that nothing associated with this discipline is "match" grade. Not that any of the guns or bullets are inferior but they were made to hunt with. Also you have to consider that the majority of the guns out there are not capable of mounting a scope ,at least to use for load development, and that can be a big factor in dertermining accuracy.

While there are many very accurate hunting bullets on the market, match bullets are produced with a tighter tolerance dimension than hunting bullets.

That being said I do have some guns in calibers that Sierra does not make bullets for, and I never had any trouble developing accurate loads with other brands. But I have always been a Sierra fan even before my affiliation with them. In my entire hunting career I have only killed two deer with bullets other than Sierra's.

Use what ever gives you the most confidence when you are on the firing line. I know what that is for me, and they come in green boxes.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Snaketail2, I was typing while you posted last. By all means if you live close by Sedalia take advantage of the Sierra outlet store. I have shot a LOT of seconds, even in HP. You can save yourself some money. I will tell you though that 30-30 bullets in seconds don't last long in the outlet store.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

"Biased"? No, certainly not.
Strongly opinionated perhaps, but that's OK - I'm the same way about Nikon cameras.
And, I always call before visiting the Outlet Store - I've learned to ask when planing a trip from St. Louis to Topeka.

Michael