Marlin 39A

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Marlin 39A

Post by sdwooster »

I was just needing some advice on which Marlin 39A to buy. Ballard rifling's or micro groove? I heard the older ones had a heavier barrel? Also what years are the good ones. I am currently using my 57 Levermatic I had sense I was 12 years old. I need to check on how good its grouping, might be a little worn.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Marlin 39A

Post by cslcAl »

Steve,

Email sent.

Al
Team Sierra Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

It doesn't matter which type of rifling. My preference is to get one that is factory drilled and tapped for scope so that you can test ammunition.
- Joe
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Older ones (with Ballard rifling) barrels have a taper and are lighter.

In the 60's they had a straight barrel, however, not as large an OD as those in the 80's and beyond (all microgroove).

suggest you try the different ones out.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I'm coming over to your edge of the woods for the CBC, want me to bring my '57-58' 39a for you to test drive?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Thanks for the offer. But I won one on gun broker today. I shot a couple at our range and they seem ok. But I sure like the short throw of my Levermatic.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

sdwooster wrote:Thanks for the offer. But I won one on gun broker today. I shot a couple at our range and they seem ok. But I sure like the short throw of my Levermatic.
Yeah but I think those levermatics are about as ugly as a gun gets.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

OldRanger wrote:
sdwooster wrote:Thanks for the offer. But I won one on gun broker today. I shot a couple at our range and they seem ok. But I sure like the short throw of my Levermatic.
Yeah but I think those levermatics are about as ugly as a gun gets.
And it's mother wears Army boots too!!!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Pretty is as pretty does. I have a lot of trophies and two grand slam pins from my Marlin 57 (22LR) and 57M (22WMR) Levermatic rifles. That one-piece stock holds well and I do like the short lever throw. The trigger is a complicated pain in the rear to work on compared to a Marlin 39a, though.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Jason wrote:Pretty is as pretty does. I have a lot of trophies and two grand slam pins from my Marlin 57 (22LR) and 57M (22WMR) Levermatic rifles. That one-piece stock holds well and I do like the short lever throw. The trigger is a complicated pain in the rear to work on compared to a Marlin 39a, though.
Never said they didn't shoot well, just that they were ugly. ;)

I have a beautiful 39A and will probably never get a pin or trophy with it. But it puts a smile on my face so its all good.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Have a 53 39A with Ballard rifling and when compare to a modern (golden) the barrel is a bit lighter but the heavier fore end keeps the balance about the same. Have not noticed any difference in grouping when compared to others, but not by any serious testing
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Ken,
You're on Statten Island shooting CLA? Outstanding!
- Joe
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I have a 1980 micro groove and a 1946 Ballard. In my opinion the Ballard is better. What I have noticed is the 80 shoots good most of the time, but the 46 shoots great all the time. My confidence level is much greater with the 46. That's worth a lot for me.

The absolute best shooter Marlin I ever had was a 20's 39 octagon barrelled model. It was scary accurate, but it was too light weight wise for me. I sold it to a friend for his daughter to use and she just loves it. I think she's 11 years old and at a match last year they let her shoot leaning on the bench and she shot a 36 with that gun.
Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Joe, there are 2 rifle & pistol clubs on S.I. and a shotgun range and several indoor pistol ranges in other boroughs of New York City. At Colonial we shoot 10 lever silhouette matches (SCR PC & CLA), 8 monthly 80 shot SB match and four 60 shot matches during the year