XTP, match director dilemma

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

XTP, match director dilemma

Post by durant7 »

I am not intending to create an argument. Bottom line, XTPs create more damage to mild steel animals than a true flat or rounded bullet. In review of other posts here, I don't see any debate over this statement. Further investigation of the exact wording of the rule:

Ammunition may be loaded with smokeless or black powder, using
jacketed or cast bullets, with or without gas checks. All bullets must
be round or flat nosed suitable for tubular magazine use. Any cartridge
causing target damage or deemed unsafe may be banned

Sure, I can make a whole bunch of friends and pick on one person who leaves larger craters than others and "ban them from the match". That makes this hobby even more enjoyable right? Why not ban XTP all together? Or why did we as a community allow them to become one of the preferred bullets anyway? Their nose is not "flat". The nose is concave. As match director, I understand I can make any decision I feel is appropriate based on my interpretation of the rule book. But we travel and it would be nice to have everyone playing by similar rules.

Any other match director, and I MEAN match director, have to address this issue?

Thanks!

JD in NH
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: XTP, match director dilemma

Post by cslcAl »

Jud, funny you should ask. I have had to address target damage on more than one occasion. I would not go as far as to say that any particular bullet should be to blame. I have shot XTP's in the past, and if they are loaded to a reasonable velocity they won't damage targets.
We had one of these deals last year. We were buying new PC animals, and because of the cost we went with A-36 steel. If ammo is loaded to a sensible velocity this grade of steel will hold up very well. I informed all our shooters that the club would not allow any hot loads on these new animals, as we paid a lot of money for them.
At the very first match we were seeing bulges on the back of animals on one particular bank. Since there were only a few shooters on that bank it was not hard to determine who it was. Now it turned into a bad deal where he left the match and maybe won't come back. This is one of the tough parts about being a match director. We have to protect the clubs interests while trying to keep the shooters happy at the same time.
NOW, you are probably wondering what this guy was shooting? He was shooting a .357mag with home cast 185 grain lead bullets. He claimed the velocity at 1200 something. Now no one needs a 185 gr. bullet for any animal in the PCLA game.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

FWIW I shoot XTP's now BECAUSE They DON"T do target damage.... they tend to explode on impact, even with mild steel targets. If they are loaded hot I am sure they can cause damage, but it's less then a FMJ bullet is going to cause. I found/use 30cal XTP in 85gr as my chicken load for that very reason. The 110gr carbine bullets I was using were putting divits in the chickens. The XTP's running similar velocities leave a little pock mark but well with in the 1/8" (I believe that is the rule book spec) limit allowd. Your mileage may very but any piece of copper clad lead is going to deform mild steel if it's traveling fast enough.... ;)

(I also shoot XTP's in my 357 lever gun and they are running around 1100fps, no damage at all)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Jud,round or flat point for use in tubular magazines,thats just a safety issue.HP XTP are flat point.Its not the bullet in this case causing target damage,its the load.
Most target damage can be traced back to poor load developement.The Max is better syndrome.Or factory ammo(Critical Defense Ammo)not intended for target shooting.In the hayday of hunters pistol when 22 hornet came on the scene there was not much reloading data except for rifles.damage was the norm until experimentors got to work and reduced velocity.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

XTP hollow points are a frangible Pistol bullet and are easier on targets than most rifle bullets...they are made to expand
and be frangible at much lower velocity. We are fortunate at our range because it was set up by an IHMSA shooter who bought quality steel that will withstand a highpower Rifle round. I agree that hot rounds damage targets, but this is a game that is supposed to simulate hunting. We shoot XTP bullets in our 32-20's for pistol cartridge and in our .357 for Pistol cartridge and Big Bore. In big bore I shot a factory equal 30-30 round and now shoot a 1600 fps reduced load and have marked the chickens at some ranges. Rifle bullets are built tougher than pistol bullets. XTP bullets aren't the problem. A full metal Jacket 180 grain 357 silhouette bullet may be tough on targets, a hollow point XTP will just make a splat.
Just Be Nice **==