35 Remington Loads and components??

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
AddictedToSB
A Poster
A Poster

35 Remington Loads and components??

Post by AddictedToSB »

Well, I didn't get the 336XLR, but I am getting an old 336SC in 35 Remington. It's only the 20" barrel, but the price was right and it gives me something to use at Nationals.

So now we are trying to decide on bullets/loads. I'm thinking about using 158 gr bullets (possibly 357 mag pistol bullets) for Chickens, Pigs, and possibly Turkeys. And I'm trying to find 200 or 220 rifle bullets for Rams but as everyone knows they are pretty scarce right now.

I'd really like to know what other people are using, and where they are getting components from.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 35 Remington Loads and components??

Post by 40-65rl »

I shoot a Marlin 1894 24 inch Cowboy Limited with X-Treme copper plated bullets, 125 grain for C, P, T and Leadhead 180 GC silhouette bullets for rams. Ok I ring a ram once a while but I have tried 200 grain jacketed bullets and they are no better. I did shot the 180 Nosler but the Leadhead bullets are as good or better, and cheaper.
The only rams I ring are at Raton when the setters don't push the ram forward to the stop on the stand or I hit it above the front leg just into the body. I have never rung a ram at Byers, CO or OK City.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Just remember to stay away from the TMJ silhouette bullets used for revolvers. They recommend not using them in tubular magazines for fear of detonation. The 125 should be more than fine for chickens and pigs, and even turkeys on not windy days. 158 xtp's on Rams has worked for many, but a little heavier bullet always helps for stubborn Rams.
Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
AddictedToSB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AddictedToSB »

Thanks for the replies, but it looks like we are talking about 3 different things. I do shoot a 357 in pistol cartridge, and have also been working on loads to use it in centerfire. But right now I'm looking for loads for a 35 Remington to use in centerfire class. (I've heard some people use the same bullets as for a 357 magnum, that's the only reason I brought up that caliber). Thanks!
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I hear you, if you would like to try a great bullet, powder valley has (box of 50's) the Speer 220gr bullets in stock for about $16 a box. What I'm saying is that you might not need to go so far away from your lower priced 357mag bullets to get a great 35 Rem load. The lead heads and other gas checked bullets, would also give you a low priced all around load. Good luck, Dennis.
The Bug Father
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Remember the the 35Rem was another common round used in pistol silhouette out of a short barreled xp-100 (if I'm not mistaken.) I think some of my older lyman silhouette load books have a few loads. Let me know if you would like me to hunt them down.
Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Let me know if you are looking for brass. Not sure how much I have, but it will be 1x fired (by me) and mixed head stamps.
AddictedToSB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AddictedToSB »

GTS - Check your PM. :wink:
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Sent you an email.