NRA Configuration Rules

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: NRA Configuration Rules

Post by BrentD »

so now I sit here on the flat bottom also known as the great state of Illinois pondering your post, al. Greg's response makes perfect sense given that the motivation for the rule is as he stated.

So I shared my phone call with you how about telling us about yours?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Brent, it's nothing mysterious. That year the committee had received some letters about rebarreling. One of the committee members was polling shooters and he called me to ask what I thought. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea, as new guns at the time were not that hard to find.
I now have mixed emotions as I stated earlier. CLA guns are still easy to find, but PCLA guns are not. Also I know of more than one shooter who had damaged barrels and I don't see why in that case the barrel could not be replaced.
The rifle Alphawolf made I have no problem with either. But he did that work him self and was more cost effective for him than if someone had one totally made by someone else. I'd be curious as to what a smith would charge for a build like that. That kind of expense is what the original rules are trying to keep in check.
I would be opposed to someone taking a say a carbine and totally customizing it into a rifle. We had a local here put a 26 in barrel on a Marlin CL a while back. That raised a lot of eyebrows.
I had an issue with the Winchester Lone Star I won the CLA National title with in 2012. While it shot well the chamber in it was terrible. Case life was so short that in the two years I shot it I had to replace all my cases twice. That was costing me a fortune, besides worrying about case failures at matches. I bought another gun just like it, and that one is fine.
I'm sure you'll get an answer eventually, but I'll be surprised if they open things up for rebarreling.
Have a nice trip.
Al Foust
Last edited by cslcAl on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Sierra Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Under the existing rule You can re-line the original barrel to the original caliber. It's a cost effective solution to shot out barrels and gives no advantage over a similar rifle with a perfect original bore. My 1894 Marlin 38/40 had a bore that would lead after a dozen shots. Re-lined for about 200 dollars it shoots fine now and is the equal of any pistol caliber rifle on the line. Bad bore vintage pistol caliber lever rifles are not hard to find, most you see for sale have bore issues.

Last re-barrel job I had done on a bolt rifle cost over 650 dollars. Of course if re-barreling the 1894 I could have gone for custom caliber, chamber, fast twist barrels set up for a particular bullet and all the other go-fast tricks that are part of equipment races. CLA targets are large enough that you don't need equipment tweeks to compete.

It's the silhouette committees decision, however I am opposed to allowing barrel switching for any reason. My opinion only.

Boats
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Boats, who does reline jobs for $200? (I'm assuming that included shipping too)?

But be that as it may what prevents one from going with a fast twist, exotic chamber etc, in a reline or rebore operation? Really only barrel length and weight are fixed. Both could be handled easier with a simple rule. But I'm not going to lobby for rule changes. I want to understand the logic of the existing rule. I have heard now that is about restricting race guns. But I can't see it being very effective in that case, other than length and weight which could more easily be regulated with a simple max dimension for each.

An interesting discussion it has been. It doesn't change anything for me. And as Greg explained it I could still build a rifle around a bunch of parts. Which I might like to do someday. Buildling the 95 was fun, though I didn't waste time looking for an original barrel since I have no intention of competing with a .45-70. I've got an extra 93 though...
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

boats wrote:.... Re-lined for about 200 dollars it shoots fine now and is the equal of any pistol caliber rifle on the line. Bad bore vintage pistol caliber lever rifles are not hard to find, most you see for sale have bore issues.
I would love to find a vintage PCLA rifle that I could afford to have relined. I have access to an experienced gunsmith who re-lines, but the prices I've seen on used rifles are usually so high a new rifle seems a better buy.
Last edited by Boyd L. on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

GregC Wrote:
Here is the rule:
b. Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels re-bored
to a larger caliber are allowed. Any safe trigger is allowed. Stocks
must be of original configuration. Recoil pads, replacement buttplates,
and removable cheek pieces are allowed.
Al Foust Wrote:
We can debate this forever, but I interpit "original barrel" as the one that came on the gun. If it was other wise it would read "an original barrel".
I interpret this rule differently. I believe that a factory produced barrel, made for the rifle in question, should be allowed. While I certainly respect the opinions of all the posters, I don't necessarily agree with them. With regard to Al's comment above, and using his same argument to support my position, if the barrel that came on the rifle was the intention, wouldn't the rule read "the original barrel". One tiny little two or three letter word can make a world of difference when you get to put it where you want it.

Greg
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Greg, sounds a lot like some wording issues the Supreme Court is hearing right now.
Yes we all have our own interpitation of this rule. Only the Silhouette Committee knows the real intent. A lot of these rules are vague in the way they are written. You have to remember they weren't drafted by a team of corporate lawyers.
I'm sure this will be sorted out this fall by the committee.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

This is an indication of just how bad it is out there for suitable rifles. This one would always be a mess under the current rules. Sadly, even as it is, it sold for ridiculous money last Saturday. If you "got mine", hold'em tight.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail. ... -20c-Rifle
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Sorry to be joining this discussion so late, but the ground squirrels are out and computers come second to shooting. Last summer I saw an original Marlin M94 at a gun show, 26in octagon heavy barrel, pistol grip,and even a tang sight. Didn't follow me home because it would have wiped out two Social Security checks. I shoot PC with an M94CL. Too light up front.If Rule 3.1.3 sub 2 said "or replica thereof" like Rule 3.1.3 sub 1 says, I would rebarrel and restock my CL into a replica of that rifle in a heartbeat. By the way, there is a photo of an identical rifle in the Brophy Marlin book. As the rules are now, I think that would be illeagle, but it shouldn't be, at least in my humble opinion.