Marlin 336XLR question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
AddictedToSB
A Poster
A Poster

Marlin 336XLR question

Post by AddictedToSB »

I'm looking for a rifle to use in centerfire class, and am trying to find a Marlin with a 24" barrel in 35 Remington. There's a 336XLR on Gunbroker right now, it has the JM stamp on the barrel but I don't know what year it is from. It looks like it has the crossbolt safety, and I've heard that a lot of people don't like the Marlins made with that safety. But don't all the 336XLRs have that style safety?

Thoughts, opinions, input??? Current price is $690.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Marlin 336XLR question

Post by glen ring »

cross bolt safety no problemo. Buy a happy trigger and install it. Put a Williams rear sight and a lyman 17 globe on the front and go shoot. I wanted a 35 also...but when I found that brass was way more scarce than 30-30 I went with the 30-30.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

+1 = What Glen said
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Does it have that rebounding hammer crap on it? Thats what causes the problems I hear (in 39a's at least). But you can cut it off easy enough.

I do believe the XLR's are recent enough of a variety that they will all have the safety.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Have a 336XLR in 30-30 unless you purchase something like a Uberti much more this is the way to go. I like the Uberti's because of weight.
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

I had a 336XLR in 30-30 and it was a great shooting gun. For me it wasn't barrel heavy enough so when I got my hands on a 336 Cowboy 30-30 (24" octagon NIB) I jumped on it and sold the XLR. The XLR did not have the rebounding hammer. The problem with the .35 Rem is the availability of brass and jacketed bullets.

If you can find one and are willing to pay the price the 336 Cowboy is a beautiful gun. However, I recently watched one sell NIB on GunBroker for $1,795.00. Thankfully I found mine when they could be had for less than $1,000.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis