A Few Observations

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Leupoldd1
Unclassified Poster

A Few Observations

Post by Leupoldd1 »

.22 casings look pretty cool in the snow.
It doesn't take long to shoot up 100 Auto Match shells at a silhouette pig.
Winchester, even when it was USRA, made some awesome guns.
It's easy to see how far a bullet fragment travels after hitting a target when there's snow on the ground.
Man, I miss Cowboy Lever Action.

I haven't shot since CLA since Tiadaghton Sportsman's Club in central PA stopped hosting shoots at the end of 2012. Shooting with my wife, brother, father-in-law and numerous friends, we devoted many Thursday evenings trying to hit a few metal targets and then enjoying a pot-luck dinner afterward. I spent a lot of money on guns, sights, and ammunition, but just kind of stopped when Tiadaghton stopped. Archery, along with two girls getting into a ton of activities made it a bit easier to walk away from the sport.
It wasn't until I revisited this site due to the cold weather and snow limiting outside activity that the fire was rekindled. After snow-blowing the driveway and lane this afternoon, I grabbed one of my 9422s, a box of shells, some ear plugs, and put a pig swinger at the end of the property. From the first shot I remembered why I had been drawn to the sport in the first place. Even though it was cold and tough to get a solid cheek weld on the stock while wearing a heavy jacket with a collar tab, I heard the smack of a bullet on metal enough times to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Now, I'm more motivated to reload 32-20 and .357 this winter and will make a concerted effort to attend some shoots at Consolidated Sportsman's and try to encourage my brother and wife to join me. I'll be on the lookout for some good deals on .22 ammo, especially Gold Medal Target too. Thanks for the site. It's not only a great source of information; it's a great reminder of how enjoyable shooting can be.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: A Few Observations

Post by snaketail2 »

Looks like were in the same boat. There are no CLA matches where I live - so I travel to them. I travel South, Southwest or Northwest of St. Louis will get me to a match. (North and East is Illinois...). And I'm always on the lookout for a new club holding matches. (Well yes, they DO hold two marches a year at the benchrest club - no practice, just walk out to 50 yards shoot, walk back, shoot, walk back...go home.)

I thought PA had several club matches?

I even thought about Cowboy Action, but after seeing videos of the sport I decided that wasn't gonna happen for me. I'll stick to SB and CLA silhouette.

.22 ammo - I've had some luck with Midway. And ammo is generally getting easier to find - slowly, and hopefully continuing.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."