legal front sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

legal front sight

Post by rr1220 »

using my understanding of the sight rules and what I have read here about fiber optic front sights I believe what I have put together is legal,i have taken a marbles front sight and removed the 3/32 rod and removed the rings that held the rod, replaced the rod with a .029 rod and installed a open top sight hood
thoughts or opinions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: legal front sight

Post by ppkny »

As long as it's not over 3/4 OD. should be okay, but...the .029 is going to be to large to get any reliable hold on the animals if you plan to use it as a center of mass point of aim. Have you look through it at the animals yet. Most common size is .019
ppkny
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I tried making a couple of front sights and finally gave up because the optic covered up the animal. Then I bought a few off Al Foust. They are perfect for my old eyes and I am shooting better than ever. If your sight doesn't work out drop Al Foust a line. His sight inserts are great and are the .
19 fiber optic.
Just Be Nice **==
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

shooting a 22 mag there is not a lot of drop so I have sighted in at .8" high at 25 yards which gives me belly holds on chicken and pigs, turkey I hold center which is where I find the sight blocking the animal with a standard marbles fiber optic diameter of .060 and then I hold top of back for rams, I did manage a 28/40 at the last match and decided to try a smaller diameter, went to range yesterday to sight in with smaller sight .029 and found it hard to see well, I do own a set of Al's inserts which I also find hard to pick up and sight in with,i guess my eyes just are not good enough anymore for the smaller size
I think if I focus more when using the standard marbles sight I can bring my scores up into the 30's, thanks guys
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

FWIW

I shot a match last Saturday with a red insert, then Sunday shot with a green insert. My eyes liked the green better. Perhaps changing color would help you too.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."