Hornady 160 FTX, newby question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Hornady 160 FTX, newby question

Post by icelander »

The silhouette rules are specific about round or flat nosed bullets, but state that the purpose of the rule is safety in a tubular magazine. The FTX bullet was developed specifically to be safe in a tubular magazine. Are they considered legal?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Hornady 160 FTX, newby question

Post by cslcAl »

Icelander, despite the efforts from Hornady to develop a safe pointed bullet for tube mags. they are NOT legal for CLA silhouette. The committee was afraid that if they allow this type of pointed bullet, some "genius" will try to substitute for them with match bullets. Anyway that's the way it was explained to me.
Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Post by icelander »

Thanks for the information. So is there a definition of what constitutes a "flat nose"? That is, what is the minimum diameter to meet the definition?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Many manufactures make a designated 30-30 bullet and most are flat point. There is no specified minimum diameter.
Round nose bullets are also allowed.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Post by icelander »

Unable to find 170 grain FN or RN jacketed bullets, I just ordered Sierra 180 gr Pro Hunter soft point bullets planning to convert to ~175 grain FN. I want to know the minimum I need to remove for safety and to be legal. It may not matter since overall length may be the controlling factor.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Icelander.
I would not do that since the crimp grove is in a different place for 30-30 bullets than they are for other .30 cal bullets. Not sure where you are looking for bullets but they are starting to pop back up on the market more than they were just a few months ago. Even walmart has boxes back on the shelves of loaded ammo. ive been stocking up since my old brass is...well old.
Cheaper than loading new stuff... almost, if you add in time loading.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Post by icelander »

I don't think the 180 gr bullet has a cannelure. My plan is to use the Lee FCD to get a tight taper crimp. It may be a lot more work than it is worth!
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Iceland I would stay away from that. Keep looking for the right bullets. Always err on the side of caution. Loading is not a good place for experimentation. Bullet makers have that job down pat.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Post by icelander »

You are probably right. 170 grain FN cast bullets are readily available both with and without gas checks. Does anyone use them for silhouette matches, and what accuracy can be expected? Thanks!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne shoots a 170 gr GC cast bullet in her XLR 30-30 and it's accurate. She loads with trail boss but there are several published loads for it. I would use published loads for and bullets for the 30-30. You'll be much happier. I've been down the road your thinking about and found it's not worth it. Use what's available. Jeanne's xlr likes a .310 diameter bullet.
Just Be Nice **==
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

icelander,be patient sierra 170 are making a come back on most shelves here.what glen said is true. :-bd
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I've tried the 180gr 308/30-06 jacketed bullet in the 336XLR with a lower end Varget load at about 1800fps MV using the Lee FCD instead of a roll crimp in a cannalure. It shot VERY accurate at 100meters, but when I tried it at 200 it wasn't acceptable (about an 8" group). Whereas, the 170gr 30-30 Speers & Remington CorLokts, and pretty much every 150g jacketed shot 2" or better. I use the Lee FCD, regardless of where the cannalure winds up.

Curiously, my 40's vintage 336A shoots the Lyman 173g mold gas-checked lead Boolits into MOA or better groups to 200 and I regularly hit 18" gongs at 400 with it, running about 1800fps MV. Those are cast soft and weigh out at just over 180gr.

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

If shortages continue I may have to go back to cast bullets. Here is my first choice: http://www.missouribullet.com/results.p ... condary=36

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Post by icelander »

Found some 170 grain FN Sierra at Cheaper than Dirt. I also decided to try some Missouri cast as well. something should work!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

FYI - don't shoot the jacketed and cast bullets on the same day - without cleaning the bore between. Lead bullets won't perform well in copper fowling and jacketed won't do well in lead fowling...stick to to one kind of bullet per trip to the range.

And, let us know how they perform for you.

Michael

And, thanks for the tip on Cheaper Than Dirt. Some 170s are on the way to me!
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."