Hornady 160 FTX, newby question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Hornady 160 FTX, newby question

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:FYI - don't shoot the jacketed and cast bullets on the same day - without cleaning the bore between. Lead bullets won't perform well in copper fowling and jacketed won't do well in lead fowling...stick to to one kind of bullet per trip to the range.(snip......)
What Mike says is true concerning plain based lead...

However, you CAN interchange gaschecked lead and jacketed successfully, even without cleaning in between each. That's exactly what we do between our CPT (jacketed) and Ram loads (gaschecked 205g Lead) on my wife's 357 PCCLA/CLA rifle. Holds good 1-2 MOA between the switch, regardless of cleaning or not. YMMV....

just another .02,

-Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Good to know Tim.

I wonder how the powder coated bullets will react with jacketed bullets?

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:Good to know Tim.

I wonder how the powder coated bullets will react with jacketed bullets?

M
Mike-

I've only tried them in two guns and my experience is they performed no different than plain cast. They were OK for plinking, but not as accurate as I wanted for silhouette use (my goal is 1-2 MOA at the furthest DX they'll be shot). I'd be interested if others saw anything different. Didn't try going between cast, powder coated, and jacketed with them because I found gas checked lead and jacketed combination is what worked well.

- Tim
icelander
Unclassified Poster

Post by icelander »

Is there any experience with shooting pb lead and gc lead in the same session?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Icelander, I don't have much experience with lead but I would stick to one or the other. You have to decide if cleaning out lead fouling in the bore or putting on gas checks is more work. I would go with gas checks if I had to make the choice. I shoot copper jacketed always so as to avoid having to do either. Hang in there, they will start popping up on the market soon...We hope! :D
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I lost a match this weekend to a fellow shooting the Missouri coated bullets. He said they performed well for him...25-20 with IMR4227 and Puff-Lon filler (light 25-20 powder loads leave a lot of space in the cases and the filler keeps the powder in the correct orientation) http://pufflon.com/newfront.html

He said the coated bullets and Puff-Lon worked well in his rifle...he won the Pistol Cartridge match!

Guess I'll be trying Puff-Lon too, I already have some of the coated bullets.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Michael -

For the record... I use, and absolutely LOVE the Puff-Lon product. In my experience it makes otherwise muzzle position sensitive loads impervious to muzzle angle, and causes velocity standard deviations to usually drop to the single digit level. But it is also not a fix for every situation (or powder).

I know you said he was using a light load so this may not apply to him specifically.... However, for anyone reading this... Please be cautious when using it on top end loads, especially with pistol powders. I've personally seen (using Unique), and had another person report (using 4227), that some otherwise safe but upper end of the chart loads show some significant pressure signs with only a change to Puff-Lon (using loads where they've seen no pressure signs at all previously). As with all changes in load development, start low/conservative and work your way back up.

My .02,

- Tim

PS - Also, it just occurred to me when I read the heading of this particular thread... Puff-Lon should NOT be used with a boat tail bullet (such as the 160FTX this thread started out talking about). It should only be used with flat based bullets. The vendor/manufacturer can provide the technical details about why it's not a good solution for Boat Tail projectiles.