Receiver Sight on a Marlin 39a

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Receiver Sight on a Marlin 39a

Post by snaketail2 »

Yesterday I made a trade for a Marlin 39a - without the crossbolt safety (1985 vintage). It has a scope on it currently, and I plan to replace the scope with a Williams FPTK Receiver Sight.
Today, while cleaning the rifle I noticed that the scope is on a 3/8" grooved scope mount.
Now I'm confused - can I mount a Williams directly to the receiver, or should I simply mount it to the 3/8" groove (I have one that will work).

Not wishing to buy the wrong sight I've attached some photos (excuse the dust - it lived behind the door for several years). Which sight should I be looking for?

Michael
mount.jpg
no mount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Receiver Sight on a Marlin 39a

Post by Grizz61 »

If wanting to stay with receiver sight I would recommend this

Williams FP-39 WITH TARGET KNOBS

FP-39-TK Receiver Sight w/Target Knob fits Marlin 39A
Mfr Part: 1256

Brownells # 962-000-036WB

Mounst in 2 holes the side of your receiver is allready drilled and tapped for.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

You have 2 choices:
1) mount in the side (using the Williams Grizz mentioned). There are two screws to be removed. Only you'll need to fill in the two screw holes in the top.
2) use a top mount Williams directly to the receiver (remove the scope mount base). If you had a Williams (top mount) before (39A bolt model) save the money and use it.

The way I read your post, you had a cross-bolt Marlin 39A. And most likely a top mount Williams (?) rear sight? If so, save your money and use it.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Looking a the Picture the side mount will work fine, this vintage of gun is not currently drilled and tapped for the Top mount. That being said if you wish to use the 3/8 grove on your scope base, feel free but I have never had much luck with that type of sight on those bases they have usually are to high and do not hold good. In my humble opinion.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Grizz and Chuck -
What I have is a Browning BL-22 with a 3/8" groove mounted Williams FPTK.
I think I'd like to go with the lower mount, requiring that I buy a new FP-39-TK sight.
The Williams retailers don't really show how the sight mounts - so I find your help more valuable than their advertising...
I didn't want to buy the wrong thing and then try to 'make it fit'. So thanks for your help.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:Thanks Grizz and Chuck -
What I have is a Browning BL-22 with a 3/8" groove mounted Williams FPTK.
I think I'd like to go with the lower mount, requiring that I buy a new FP-39-TK sight.
The Williams retailers don't really show how the sight mounts - so I find your help more valuable than their advertising...
I didn't want to buy the wrong thing and then try to 'make it fit'. So thanks for your help.

Michael
Michael -

:-t
Timeout.... Before you order one... Best to call Williams and have the gun in front of you.... Most retailers aren't aware there's more than one version and will try to sell you "whatever they have"... Murphy's law says you'll get the wrong one under that scenario.

My 80s vintage 39A definitely takes a FP mounted on the top of the receiver. However when a buddy of mine tried the same p/n site on his 1954 vintage 39A, it would NOT fit properly and he wound up having to use a FP-GR mounted to an 11mm scope rail. Yet another buddy's 1948 vintage, he elected to use the side mount FP as described above. Unfortunately he doesn't recall the part # on the side mount version.

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Last edited by Tlee on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Tim:

Will do! I'll call Williams today.

This is the sort of thing that makes this forum so valuable (and all the other help you've given me).

Thanks all.

Michael
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

I use the weaver mount in the photo with a williams FP-GR-TK for 22s that will clamp on.It allows the position to be a little higher.I also use with this set up a Brockmans Marlin front sight .its a higher front sight and allows the williams to be in middle of adjustment.Both available from Brownells.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Grizz,
looking at Michael's bottom photo, looks like a drill & tap has already been performed.

Michael, you mentioned a Browning, isn't the photo of a Marlin 39?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

The photo is a Marlin 39. I have another SB lever gun - a Browning BL-22 that has a Williams FP-GR-TK on it.

There is a match in Little Rock next weekend. If it isn't snowing, my back gets better, and I get a chance to go to the range to sight in the Marlin...I'll shoot the first match of the year with the FP-GR-TK that I take off the Browning. Then I'll replace it with the correct sight when I can.

I called Williams and they confirmed that I should have a FP-39-TK (not the FP-39TM) for my 1985 Marlin. I took Tim's advise and had the rifle in front of me when I called - it did help confirm which sight I needed.

Michael
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:..... (Snip)
I called Williams and they confirmed that I should have a FP-39-TK (not the FP-39TM) for my 1985 Marlin. I took Tim's advise and had the rifle in front of me when I called - it did help confirm which sight I needed.

Michael
Michael -

In case you didn't already find this out.... If you're using that FP-39 that mounts to the side of the receiver with a Lyman17 mounted on the factory ramp, go ahead and order the longest elevation screw from Williams... I helped a guy with that setup try to get on target yesterday and he ran out of elevation with the original (short) elevation screw, even with the shortest Lyman17 on the front. Another shooter with that same combo confirmed he had to do the same thing.

- Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Tim:
I shot the 39a in two matches this weekend, in Arkansas. The rifle has the 3/8" groove FP-GR-TK sight on it and a .584 height 17AUG front sight. After a little sighting in it proved to work quite well...if you look at my photos you can see that the 3/8" rail adds quite a bit of height to the rear sight - same thing a longer elevation screw would do.

Although we had weather in the 60s the turn out was small, and wining some awards not qualify as "bragging rights", we did have fun and the sight performed quite well for me. I still plan to replace the grooved sight with the side mount, but I'm not such a hurry now.

This weekend was the first time I shot the rifle...two matches (SB & PC) with Federal AutoMatch ammo, it performed well, the sights did fine, and I got awards for my efforts (kinda thinking - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.), but when I do I'll get the long elevation screw too.

Thanks,
Michael