.22LR ammo poll

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: .22LR ammo poll

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:RWS Targer RIfle and CCI SV in my 39A. Loves either equally. You guys with Ram problems, are you shooting the small bore (thin) rams or Pistol Cartridge rams?
Thin ones (not pistol cartridge rams).... At my range there are a couple types:

- Old ones (slightly cupped, crooked feet, etc); They fall no problem, usually even with standard velocity hits.
- Newer ones (nice and flat, perfectly level/regulation feet); Especially if there's any breeze to the backside of the targets, those CAN be problematic, particularly with standard velocity ammo (SK/Wolf/Eley), happens more with pistols, but frequently with rifles as well.

FWIW, I've lost a couple rams, and witnessed others also lose SB (thin) halfscale rams at NRAWC in Raton as well. Happened to my son 4 years ago during the SBCLA match, even though he was using High Velocity Federal 510s with a ram hit center mass. Then again just this past year on the last day of Smallbore Hunter Pistol, I had one that I hit about 1" above the pecker with a CCI Mini-Mag out of a 12" T/C.... It did not fall... Even moments later when the wind took every other ram target completely off the lefthand 5 or 6 banks, that one remained standing.... $4it happens!

my .02,
-Tim
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

To Al & Chuck- I miked fired cases, both SK and other HV rds. and didn't find much of any difference. My Marlin 39A is about a 2006 version of manufacture. I don't think there's a headspace problem, so the extractor will be the easiest to attack. I'll get a new Marlin extractor from Brownell's and alter one, and also order one from the other vendor. Thanks for the info. Would appreciate some warmer weather to try things out.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Small bore ammo results as of 1/9/15

SK Magazine......5
SK HV.............3
CCI MiniMag.....2
Fed AutoMatch..2
AR Tac...........1
Lapua Center X.1
Wolf(any).......1
Win M22.........1
Norma Tac......1

More to follow, I hope.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

To Al Foust- Thanks for the info about Wisner's, Inc. and the Marlin A39A-27 type 2 Extractor. I ordered, received, and installed the extractor in my new model 39A. Tried it this morning with various ammo makes and the SK High Velocity .22 ammo, and the extraction worked great with all types. Should be good to go. Thanks again.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Gabby, You will forever be glad you made this change. Now you can shoot without having to worry about fail to extract issues. I see this as the most effective fix for problematic newer 39A's. Glad Imcould help.
Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Al,has fixed my extraction problem also.I occasionally have what i call a bounceback where empty round ends up back in receiver and always rim towards front.I'd like to see how it does that in slow motion.I also agree that extraction can be affected by speed of lever cycling and if rifle is canted.
My ammo in 39A is Wolf Target down to last 2 bricks.I haven't had any ram knockdown problems,but i "don't have many good hits",mostly an edge shooter.
Then choice will be SK/SV with SK/HV for rams.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

"don't have many good hits",mostly an edge shooter.
Ha! Ha! Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, private joke!

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member