.22LR ammo poll

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

.22LR ammo poll

Post by snaketail2 »

Taking a poll of which ammo you are using for Small Bore Lever Action Silhouette.
What are you shooting - what's working best for you?

Thanks,
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Re: .22LR ammo poll

Post by Hattrix »

I've been shooting the SK Magazine (bulk standard plus) for CPT and SK Hi Vel for Rams.
Been working good for me.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

In the Henry Frontier(s): Federal AutoMatch and 510s
In the Marlin 39A: CCI MiniMags and AR-tactical

All above are High Velocity 40gr solids....

FWIW, CCI Standard Velocity, Eley Sport, or Wolf Target are MAYBE 1/4 to 1/2 MOA better in accuracy in the Marlin, however neither will consistently take over the Smallbore Halfscale Ram at a couple ranges where we shoot, particularly on center hits or when the wind is to the backside of the targets.

-Tim
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

I've been shooting the SK Magazine (bulk standard plus), for the full course of fire of Small bore Cowboy out of an original Marlin 1892 mfg 1897. I have had no issue with it taking targets (with clean hits), and shot a 29 at Nationals last year nor at any matches here in Colorado. We will see how it handles AZ next month.

**==
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Hattrix wrote:I've been shooting the SK Magazine (bulk standard plus) for CPT and SK Hi Vel for Rams.
Been working good for me.
I wasn't going to reply to this as I haven't gotten to shoot a match yet, but this is what I was planning too. I have a couple thousand SK Hi Vel 40 grain round nose for rams, and I'll use sk standard plus for the rest. Glad to see my plan isn't too odd.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
TURKEYSFEARME
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TURKEYSFEARME »

I mostly use wolf or sk match lapua center x for the big matches
They are all extremely accurate out of my 39a
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've tried various match ammo that I had for my scoped silhouette rifles and the tiny targets in my lever guns. The only ones that seemed good all the time, on everything except rams, was the Lapua Center-X. The SK/Wolf seemed to lose a bit too much velocity and accuracy in temperatures less than about 40 degrees (F, of course). It was easier to just use Mini-Mag solids or Automatch for everything, as they're only about a half minute worse at rams and they feed and knock down everything without issues. Any ammo under about 1150fps rated muzzle velocity tends to leave rams standing occasionally at our ranges, with the slower ammo leaving more.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I have been using SK Std Plus for years in my SCR guns. The last two years however I have been using SK high velocity HP's. I haven't found anything that is more accurate in my 39A. I tested several lots of SK HV in my 1710 at 100 meters, and the groups I shot were better than ANY standard velocity ammo I ever shot.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I have two 39A's and each has it's preference. one prefers Fed AutoMatch, the other Win. M22.

No Ruskie ammo in 'dem Merican barrels :lol:
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

To Al Foust- I tried some SK Hi-Velocity ammo in my Marlin 39A and have ejection problems. All other HV ammo seems to work OK. Have you ever had problems ejecting these empty brass cases? I can shoot SK Std. Vel. OK, so it does not seem to be the high level of lube on the rounds that's causing the "sticking" to the chamber walls. I tried removing most of the lube on some HV ammo, but that didn't help either. Any ideas?
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

@Gabby3s,

While I'm not Al, I have had trouble with WW SuperSpeed extraction issues. The OD rim diameter was too small and the extractor didn't grab the rim.

Question is do you have a newer or older 39A? The flywheel cut for the extractor on the newer Marlins is not deep enough. I ever so slightly filed mine down to better grab the rim.

If you are referring to ejecting, the speed at which you lever the cartridge determines how well (or poorly) it ejects. My older 39A is picky on the lever speed to eject.

Provide more info on the above and we can better diagnose.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I have a 1957-58 39a and it ejects the sk HV just fine. As a matter of fact in all of the wolf, sk and lapua I've shot I have never had a single failure to load, fire or eject.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

I shoot Federal 510 or Federal Auto match in both of my 39As. I consider these both "Premium" not match grade ammo. Both are 1947 rifles. Tried the match grade in both guns but did not have better groups than with these less expensive brands. Read an article, I can post it if anyone wants to read it, the jest was:

"Not all rifles or handguns are capable of shooting tight groups, no matter what ammo you use. I only tested four different match grade 22s … Federal Champion, Ely, CCI Green Tag, and Wolf Target Match. Hands down, the Wolf ammo was by far the most accurate in my match grade rifles, pistols, and even revolvers. None of the match grade ammo performed very well (accuracy wise) in my non-match grade guns and was beaten soundly by any of the premium grade High Velocity ammo. In the Bulk ammo loads, I found Remington Golden Bullet to be the worst … maybe I got a bad batch but from what I’ve read on the forums, my conclusions were founded. Lots of “bang, pop, bang” … and it showed up on the chronograph as wild velocity spreads. Additionally, I had about a dozen duds in a 550 round pack. Federal Bulk pack 36gr HPs were quite decent … especially for the price. Certainly NOT match grade but I got decent groups out to 60 yards with all my rifles. I did have a few “bang, pop, bangs” and a couple duds. I would rate Winchester WildCats and Remington ThunderBolts pretty grim. Accuracy was not bad at first but after 25 rounds in each rifle, the bores got fouled enough where accuracy took a nose dive. I did not experience any “pop-bang” issues nor did I have any duds … just badly fouled bores. Standard production closed breech rifles (bolt, lever, or pump) shooting premium grade ammo should shoot 2 MOA or better at 50 yards ( sub-inch groups)."

This just one person's observations, not necessarily mine but thought I would put it out on the table ..................

Dick
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

RWS Targer RIfle and CCI SV in my 39A. Loves either equally. You guys with Ram problems, are you shooting the small bore (thin) rams or Pistol Cartridge rams?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

GabbyJs, how new is your 39A? It could be one of two issues or both. A lot of the newer 39A's have head space problems. Because of the poor fit the fired case will bulge just ahead of the rim making extraction difficult. If it works fine with SV ammo it may be the HV's higher pressure may cause more of a bulge.
The other problem and the one I would address first is the extractor. The ones made since about 1972 are very anemic. I refer to them as a glorified paper clip. You can replace it with an older model which is available from Wisners Inc. 39A 22 caliber 1958 - 1971 #A39A-27 (type 2)
I had to replace the one in my 1981 39A and it has worked fine ever since. You have to do a little fitting, but it's easy to do. Several of my shooting pals have done this and it worked for them also.
If it is a headspace issue you'll have to send it back to Marlin, and good luck with that.
Hope this helps,

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member