2014 Winchester Catalog

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

2014 Winchester Catalog

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Has anyone seen the new Winchesters? The new catalog lists two new guns in .357/38 as well as 44/40. I'm looking to buy one or the other so I can retire my Marlin Custom Cowboy in .357 and was wondering if they are worth the investment or just keep shooting the Marlin. Does anyone own one yet?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 2014 Winchester Catalog

Post by Jason »

Why would you want to retire the Marlin cowboy custom in 357? That seems like a great gun for this game.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

i've got one coming in 357 w/ a 24" barrel. I'll let you know. Right now I have a Uberti that works pretty well.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

psteiger wrote:i've got one coming in 357 w/ a 24" barrel. I'll let you know. Right now I have a Uberti that works pretty well.
I've got dibs on the Uberti.

Dustin
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

psteiger wrote:i've got one coming in 357 w/ a 24" barrel. I'll let you know. Right now I have a Uberti that works pretty well.
I would be very interested in your opinion of not just how it shoots but function, fit and finish. I haven't seen these in any dealers yet. And if I get one sight unseen and its no better than a Puma I'll be...upset. The new Marlins were a disappointment after Remington took over and don't want to fall for that again. ~x(
I like the Uberti's but they are almost to pretty to shoot! if that's even possible. Besides I always buy American... if I can. **==
NRA Endowment Member
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Here yah go. I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch of tacks! A Japanchester. Some playing around with loads may help, little fine tuning. ? It's a sad day, in my opinion now, that the "good stuff " comes from Japan. :-? I think there're in cahoots with China.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/winches ... gun-review
Steelbanger
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steelbanger »

Does the Winchester catalog tell you whether these leverguns have a built in flinch, otherwise known as a rebounding hammer, and a tang mounted safety? Just curious.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Steelbanger wrote:Does the Winchester catalog tell you whether these leverguns have a built in flinch, otherwise known as a rebounding hammer, and a tang mounted safety? Just curious.
Look at the review I posted above, sounds like it has every safety now to man. Almost.
Stay Safe
Mark
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

High Speed thanks for the info! #:-s I will NOT be running out to buy one of these anytime soon. I will not give my money to a government that supports UN gun control. Looks like if I do buy a gun it would be the Uberti which also has a government that supports gun control but at least they make the guns like the originals, without all the safety nonsense.
NRA Endowment Member
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

The Uberti has the same lever safety that the put on the Gen2 1873's. You can buy parts to remove it. While the metal is just wonderful, the wood is plain. The Winchesters seem to have better wood. With all that said, the 1873 is not the best design to shoot CLA. It has a lock time measured in days, there is no place to put a sight except a tang sight on it and they're expensive. I shoot CLA because I wanted the 1866 and 1873. I also shoot tang sights. They just look sooooo cool. I was thinking of getting Doug Turnbull to do some work on the Japchester if it looks like a keeper. He can make it like it should be and re finish it if it needs it.

Dustin, you're first in line and in my will. I have no idea why you'd trade your shooters for a looker......
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

psteiger wrote: With all that said, the 1873 is not the best design to shoot CLA. It has a lock time measured in days,
This may be true but that's the game. If I wanted speed id play three gun. I really would like to make the Marlin into a show piece I can shoot too. I was thinking of the Turnbull case hardening as well and that takes a year from what I hear. That's a long time to wait and I'll need a gun to use in the mean time.
NRA Endowment Member