Decent Accuracy From Cast Bullets?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Decent Accuracy From Cast Bullets?

Post by dhatch »

I have a M94 chambered in .32 Winchester Special. Is it possible to get decent accuracy with cast bullets? I have tried reduced loads of Varget, with 170 gr. They are all over the place. I have a light crimp. Any suggestions?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Decent Accuracy From Cast Bullets?

Post by snaketail2 »

Two things affect the accuracy of cast bullets - the size of the bullet and the amount of leading in the bore.
I have a .45 Colt lever gun. Once I learned that my rifle liked .454 cast bullets (over .452) I started getting better accuracy. You need to slug the bore to find out.

If you have been shooting "undersized" bullets in the .32 you are likely to lead build-up in the barrel. I cleaned my barrel with JB Bore paste and things got better. I changed to .454 bullets and things got better. I used a stiff crimp and things got better. But I did all three at the same time and I'm not sure which was "best".

The replacement for the .45 Colt is a 25-20. I'm still experimenting with various bullets, here is the one I plan to try next http://www.missouribullet.com/results.p ... condary=36
These are coated cast bullets and they will send you a sample pack for little more than postage. I see that they have .32 cal.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I got my cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co in .321 dia. My barrel was very clean. I have never shot or reloaded cast bullets before today. I wonder if M bullet will make an over soze for trial? I also think that the reduced loadS could be too low to stabilize the bullet. . I do realize that shooting factory loads kick and will be hurting by that 40th shot, but I get the impression that factory loads are frowned on due to damage to the targets. Is that correct? I haven't shot in this class yet.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I don't think you'll be able to get over sized bullets from Missouri Bullets - would require extensive set up time and would not be cost effective.
The Hi-Tek bullets are slightly larger in diameter - the width of the coating al least, but I don't know the final size.

Factory loads are generally OK. I've seen several shooters use them (and start flinching around the 20th shot).

If you've been shooting jacketed bullets in your rifle you need to make sure all the copper deposits are out of the barrel. I discovered that my 25-20 can shoot jacketed bullets with good accuracy, but when I shoot cast bullets on the same day I get erratic accuracy and even keyhole bullet strikes - a little copper solvent and the cast bullet accuracy returns...could be your situation too. Sometimes its a little thing that throws a wrench into the works, but this is an easy fix.

My 30-30 doesn't have good accuracy with cast bullets moving fast. I use a 170gr and push it around 1350fps with 3031 - any faster and my groups open up. How did I settle on 1350fps - pure luck. I tried hot loads and mild loads and some mouse loads. Once day I tried something between mild & mouse and found the accuracy was there. (The rifle was new and I was still breaking it in - so I simply got lucky).

Try cleaning the copper fouling out and shoot only cast bullets the next time you go to the range. Most of the time you will find accuracy at moderate bullet speeds...check out the "reloading" thread on the Marlin Owners web site, I have found many good solution there too.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

You can get good performance from Cast Bullets, I shoot a lot of them in Single Shot Rifles. However I use custom molds and pay a lot of attention to small details, most learned over a lot of years. Fairly difficult to obtain "good" results from store bought bullets. Don't think I have ever seen a Schuetzen match winner using purchased bullets. Mostly due to bullet temper and fit.

Lever actions 30/30 in particular I shoot jackated. Lever Silhouette rifle you need velocity to knock over rams at 200, cast bullet going fast enough is more difficult to work with than one going slow. Casting for 30/30 is more trouble than it's worth for me. Having said all that I do shoot store bought cast in my 38/40 Marlin 1894. Pistol Caliber targets are large, rifle that shoots pretty good is all thats needed. Sights Weight and trigger more important than moa bench groups. Would not gain much from casting my self with bullets tailored to the rifle. And they kock over the 100 meter rams with real authority.

Boats