22 mag ammo choice

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

22 mag ammo choice

Post by rr1220 »

looking to get started in pccla with a Winchester 9422m xtr and would like to find out if the 40gr federal at 1900fps would cause target damage to chickens,i know ill lose some rams but you can only shoot what ya got any real world experience with 22 mag and ammo choices with results would be helpful also with the trajectory there would only need to be slight aimpoint changes on animals with no sight change when zeroed at 50yds I can only guess that jacketed hollow points are allowed
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 22 mag ammo choice

Post by Jason »

I use these Federal 737 40gr FMJs at 1880fps for chickens, pigs and turkeys and have not done any target damage to our pistol cartridge cowboy chickens.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... aspx?id=53

I use the same sight setting for chickens and pigs, but do adjust for turkeys. I'm pretty picky about having my aim point match my point of impact. I have tried using them on rams during sight-in and get well over half of the rams to fall. I use some.. umm.. customized 46 or 50gr loads for rams during the match and very, very rarely have one fail to fall down if I hit it.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Mmmmmm. These "customized" 46 or 50 gr 22 Mags. Are they available? If so how?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Don't do it! I've done it, but won't ever do it again. You pull the bullet and replace it with a heavier one...but its rimfire...mucho dangerous to do.

I did this for several years when I shot Hunters Pistol and looking back I think I must have been nuts to do it. I won't ever do it again. And I suggest you don't do it either. Can you imagine the damage a .22 magnum would do if it detonated outside of a chamber.

And, how many rams have you lost to .22 magnums?

I'd carefully consider all the alternatives before making "Custom" .22 mag rounds.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Mike...Jeanne shot that round for years in her 22 magnum with no problems.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Glenn:
Perhaps you had a better method of making them than I did. I always worried about pulling the factory bullets from the rimfire case. And, doesn't someone make a 50gr .22 mag bullet now?
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yes, the Federal 757 rounds have 50gr bullets but they are at a lower velocity that doesn't necessarily work much better on rams for me than the 40gr 737s mentioned above. The heavier bullets at lower velocity also don't stabilize well enough to have good accuracy out to 100 meters in every 22 Mag barrel since the twist rates are designed to be optimal for 40gr bullets at higher velocities. The Federal 757s are the ones that I use to make my "custom" ram loads for PC rams, though, either by using the same 50gr bullets with the powder replaced or using 46gr bullets instead.

I've never really worried that much about the rounds going off when pulling the bullets. I'm very gentle with them, using a 25auto shellholder and a Hornady collet bullet puller in a Rock Chucker press. There's no impact during the process, so there shouldn't be any more risk of ignition than there is with seating primers into centerfire cases. I do wear safety glasses when I'm doing it, but I do that anytime I'm reloading anyway.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Mike...we NEVER used a reloaded 22 mag round. We used the federal 40 grain round with good success.I would NEVER try a stunt like that to gain one or two animals. The risk isn't worth it.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

It's not a stunt, and is just using brass that is primed in the inside of the case instead of inside a primer for reloading. The priming compound is arguably much better protected in the case during the reloading process than in a primer that is seated into a centerfire case. Many people think reloading any ammo is a dangerous stunt, but they think that because they have not done it and don't understand how it works. I know of four people at my own club and at least 10 others, including several that frequent this forum, who do this. I have never heard of a single one of them having the primer detonate during any step of this process. I can't say that for loading with centerfire primers, of course.

Also, it isn't gaining "one or two animals" in my testing. It's actually gaining approximately 3.6 animals per 40-shot match. Results may vary at other ranges but at our range, the 40gr Federal 737s averaged 6.4 target knockdowns out of 10 over 50 shots (32/50) using front shoulder hits shot from the bench. The improved 50-grain loads knocked down every single one except for the one that we purposefully set slightly more forward on the rail and angled it toward us by putting dirt under the rear of the pads to simulate worst case scenario. That target tilted back slightly and moved a bit on the rail but didn't fall. In master class, 3.6 animals per 40-shot match is usually enough to be the difference between winning the match and not even shooting a master score.

If a new shooter already has a 22 Mag and wants to try out a match, a speedy 40-grain load that holds together well on target like the Federal 737s would be a fine place to start. If, by some miracle, one of the self-defense loads like the Hornady Critical Defense rounds could be found to use on rams, that might improve your chances of having them fall a bit more reliably. Even with those, don't get too hung up on having every ram hit fall down. As a master class shooter, I can say for sure that if I didn't use the improved ram loads, I wouldn't use a 22 Mag to shoot the match.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I still won't load 22 magnum ammo and I would not let anyone do that in my shop. I think the return isn't worth the risk. .357 , 25-20, 32-20...there is years and years of safely reloading these cartridges and many published loads by major manufacturers. I would never recommend reloading rimfire cases to anyone. We have a very seasoned shooter at our club that does and I trust his judgement, but we would never do it. 3.6 animals...You have kept very good records .
Just Be Nice **==
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I tried it on several occasions when a better supply of 22mag ammo could be found. I primarily experimented with different powders and projectiles. I will say that pulling a bullet from a live 22mag cartridge tests your confidence and/or "better judgement", regardless of what safety precautions you take such as glasses, gloves, shielding, etc.

I only found something that I would classify as "only slightly better than Federal 50gr 757s", but would only be practical in a Thompson Contender.... They wouldn't work in a Lever Action rifle due to the bullet's shape/ogive and resulting OAL not allowing it to cycle thru a magazine. Also, when I fired most, I did experience numerous signs of pressure, some excessive (bulging rims, and one rim separation). %-(

I also own a rifle (that I originally purchased for parts) that suffered major damage due to another silhouette shooter's experiment with "ram buster loads". In that case it blew the extractor, damaged the bolt, and resulted in a split stock... It's since been repaired and I now shoot it occasionally in PCCLA, but only when I have a decent/consistent supply of factory 22mag ammo (40gr on CPTs and Federal 757 50g on Rams). I do get SLIGHTLY better ram knockdown with the 50g 757s than with any 40gr bullet, regardless of the kinetic energy specs "on paper" giving the nod to the 40s. I probably shoot my 32mag or 357mag 10X more often, especially now that 22mag ammo is so unobtainium/unreasonably priced.

YMMV.... Your (and other's) "mileage may vary".

-Tim
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

This subject has been approached many times on this site so I will only add this. Shoot your .22 mag. as it was designed to be used. The whole reason to shot one is so you DON'T have to reload. If you feel the need to reload get yourself a centerfire rifle. The time you spend reloading .22mag ammo could be just as well spent loading the centerfire stuff. Just my .02 :ympeace:
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'd definitely agree with choosing something other than a 22 Mag for pistol cartridge cowboy matches. If I didn't already have this one, I'd be choosing something else. Especially with the current scarcity of rimfire ammo, I'd probably pick a nice 357 with a 24" or longer barrel and load it to 38 special velocities and could do that cheaper than I can buy 22 Mag ammo. I shouldn't complain, though. This little 22 Mag has brought home multiple match wins and trophies and added a grand slam pin to my collection.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I don't know of anyone who experienced a loading bench accident with reloading 22 mag. But if you're reckless ...

I personally know what happened to TLee gun and I told the shooter he was going to have a failure. There was definitely a failure to respect the tiny little case and it's limitations. And the irony of it all was the 55gr V-max was never going to stabilize in a 16 twist barrel. So what was the point?

I won't recommend working up loads unless you have a lot of experience in reading pressure signs. I'm talking, take micrometers to the shooting bench and monitor case deformation

I did find a good load, with low pressure, that does feed thru my 9422m and it takes rams. I used 45gr hornet bullets and VV N110. Please don't ask me for the powder charge. These tiny cases are too fragile and priming mix varies too much.

When hornady released their Critical Defense 45 gr load, I bought 5 boxes and haven't looked back. It is great. I haven't lost a ram with it yet and it is sub minute out of my rifle. Others claim great accuracy too

I found the Federal 50 gr to be inconsistent, inaccurate garbage, and sold all I had.
- Joe