fiber optic material

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

fiber optic material

Post by glen ring »

I shot a fiber optic sight yesterday and I must say it helped my old eyes see the sight. The best ones I've seen are home made with very fine fiber. Where can I find the material and what are the small sizes used ? I think the one I shot was 9 thousandths ????
Just Be Nice **==
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Re: fiber optic material

Post by Hattrix »

Glen,
I got mine at Brownell's, but I don't know how small they go. I have .030 and I saw .020 there also.
Kevin
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thanks Kevin.
Just Be Nice **==
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I ordered mine from GTS here on the site. Its an insert for a 17A globe. I'll PM you his contact info (don't know him well enough to post it up here).
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

I bought mine on Ebay, .019 green, six feet (I know but it was cheap) for under $20 delivered. I have tried various sizes and .019 seems to be about the best, small enough that it doesn't cover all of the animal, large enough to gather sufficient light if you make a front sight that is long enough to use all of the allowable length.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Glen and all, I may soon be selling fiber optic sights. Details will be posted soon.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

glen ring,

As OldRanger mentioned, I am making fiber optic inserts for the Lyman 17A globe sight. The most popular colors are red green, with green getting the most use. My inserts use a 0.040" fiber optic rod centered in my version of the smallest post and bead insert supplied with the 17A by Lyman. It has an OD of 0.062", +- 0.0005". Some folks like a smaller fiber optic, but these seem to work fairly well. You can email me at gts1096 at gmail dot com for more information. I will be at the match this weekend in Zwolle, LA, so if anyone would like to see them first hand, I will have a few with me.

Here are a couple of pics of my inserts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Al
Let us know. I think my fat fingers will have a hard time putting that tiny fiber optic material in a sight.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Glen:
I have some of GTS's fiber optic inserts. They are well made and sure do help me see the targets. I have red ones and they really stands out on black targets.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Glen, they will be an insert for a lyman 17A. I will be able to put any size wire from .019 on up. We have been using .029, but many shooters want a smaller wire. I can do different colors also, but green is the best. I don't have all my materials ready yet, but I expect them to be here soon. I'll post photos and pricing when I have a final product.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member