Sight set up: upside down insert

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
plexreticle
Unclassified Poster

Sight set up: upside down insert

Post by plexreticle »

I was checking out a Henry 22lr with a Williams receiver sight and a Lyman front. The gun is used for smallbore cowboy rifle silhouette.

The front sight had a post insert but it was placed in upside down. It didn't occur to me to ask at the time, is this a typical set up? It seems this would be useful for hold over on smaller targets.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Sight set up: upside down insert

Post by cedestech »

I've heard some people use that set up for animals that are painted black. You bring the end of the post down to the animals back.... I believe fiber optic front sights negate needing to do that now.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Sight set up: upside down insert

Post by Tlee »

plexreticle wrote:I was checking out a Henry 22lr with a Williams receiver sight and a Lyman front. The gun is used for smallbore cowboy rifle silhouette.

The front sight had a post insert but it was placed in upside down. It didn't occur to me to ask at the time, is this a typical set up? It seems this would be useful for hold over on smaller targets.

Not an uncommon setup, especially if you switch back and forth between white and black targets at different matches. Some folks prefer it, others prefer the traditional post position at 6o'clock or a bead. Nice thing about the Lyman globe is you can swap them around and try different things to see what you prefer. A couple other brands won't allow the insert to be turned upside down.

IMO, fiber inserts work well on black targets as long as they are small enough in diameter.

- Tim