30-30: One Load One Sight Setting?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
whiteside
Unclassified Poster

30-30: One Load One Sight Setting?

Post by whiteside »

Hello,

I am a new member and am going to my first match at the Tucson Rifle Club in a little less than a month. I'm a masters student at the U of A, so I am poor in cash and time... I just got a bargain on a Sears 54 (relabeled Win 94) in 30-30 with a Williams receiver sight. The sight is NOT click adjustable. I don't have enough time to work up reloads or do extensive test sighting in... I will probably be shooting factory 150 grain/2390 fps ammo since I don't have brass yet anyways.

I am wondering how common it is to use one load with one sight setting. Since I don't have easy elevation adjustments, I've been thinking about zeroing in so I would aim at the feet of the chicken. Seems like the trajectory of the 30-30 would be flat enough so that I could hit rams by aiming at their backs? I played around with trajectory tables and it doesn't seem too crazy. Does anyone have thoughts on sight hold-off as a technique? It's my only option for the short term, but I'm wondering how necessary a replacement rear sight or range-specific loads will be long term.

Looking forward to your responses.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: 30-30: One Load One Sight Setting?

Post by cedestech »

Your going to need to put It on paper but yes, you should be able to make it all the way across with out a sight change. I use 3 different loads but no sight change. Make sure your not tearing up the chickens... match director might not be happy with you.... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Yes, put it on paper. If you "guess" your settings you'll have trial and error - so you might as well put it on paper to start with...may I suggest Walmart Winchester ammo.

The folks at the Tucson range are a pretty good bunch - I started there and moved away last December. Say "Hello" for me - I'm the forensic photographer who moved to St. Louis...some will remember.

Your idea is a fairly sound one and I imagine a lot of people do just that. But since you already have a Williams sight mounted I suggest you contact Williams Gun Sight company - they advertise that Any of their sights can have target knobs on them. I'd save up for a set of target knobs - will make it much easier for you.

I shoot a 130gr bullet at three different sight settings, then change to a 170gr and use the Turkey setting with the heavy bullet on Rams.

Enjoy Tucson - they held the first ever silhouette match...got the idea from Pancho Villa...look it up. And, if you get really hooked there is Ben Avery in Phoenix and Rio Salada in Mesa - you can shoot every weekend if you like.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

OOPs - hit the wrong button. Nothing to see, move along.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

You can buy the Williams target knobs from Brownells for about $8.00 each.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 27362.aspx

Once you've got those you can very easily make your adjustments for each animal as you go. Put it on paper but make sure to do some of your testing from the standing off-hand position as most shooters have a different point of impact from the bench compared to off-hand.

Good luck and good to have a new shooter on board.

P.S. If you do change the knobs go slowly and make sure you don't lose the little detent ball or the spring.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Whiteside, Here's some loads that are pretty common with the shooters in the East for the Winchester 30-30. One setting, same aim point.
Chickens/Pigs= 150 gr SIE2000 FN ProHt 30.0 gr Varget
Turkeys = 150 gr SIE2000 FN ProHt 33.0 gr Varget
Rams = 170 gr SIE 2010 FN ProHt 32.0 gr Varget
ppkny
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

ppkny wrote:Whiteside, Here's some loads that are pretty common with the shooters in the East for the Winchester 30-30. One setting, same aim point.
Chickens/Pigs= 150 gr SIE2000 FN ProHt 30.0 gr Varget
Turkeys = 150 gr SIE2000 FN ProHt 33.0 gr Varget
Rams = 170 gr SIE 2010 FN ProHt 32.0 gr Varget
ppkny

Now if only we could find any Varget.....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
whiteside
Unclassified Poster

Post by whiteside »

Shot my first match and had a great time! I did ok (21) , but I definitely think I could do better with some practice. I didn't have brass or time to reload, so I used Remington 150 grain factory loads. I was surprised that I rung 2 rams, and by the end of the 40 shot string recoil was definitely becoming a factor! I think I'm going to try some heavier/slower cast reloads.

I missed most of my shots due to not having the right sight picture, so I either need to figure out my hold-over or get adjustable sights. Unfortunately my williams isn't of the click-adjustable variety so the target knobs are out. I'm hoping the tapped bolt pattern is the same so I can just bolt on the correct williams down the line.

I know that user error is probably the biggest area for improvement, but I'm getting around 4" 100 yard groups so I might try out a few accurizing tricks as well. Looking forward to next time!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

See what I told you! I knew you'd like it. And they feed you lunch there too (something the other guys should take note of!).

Did they tell you that some of the Rams at the Tucson range are "locked" down - no way they'll ever go down, metal in front and in back. So we used to count hits when we had to use them.

Sounds like you had a pretty good day for the first time out, bet it won't be your last!

Michael