Pistol cartridge- which one?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Pistol cartridge- which one?

Post by chuck d »

If I am to purchase a lever gun for PC this winter, which cartridge would you recommend?
looking as ease of shooting, cost effective rounds, easy to get components, and reasonable consistent knock down.
I reload. 22 mag looks nice, but that smallish "punch" worries me.

thanks
chuck
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Pistol cartridge- which one?

Post by Grizz61 »

That is a very loaded question. 22 mag will get the job done, but you might loose a ram or two once and while. I personally have shot everything from 357/38 and larger, along with a 22 mag. I now primarily shoot a 38/40 and 44/40, but my partner shoots 25/20. They all have there advantages and disadvantages. I would say find on you like, or is in a caliber that you have available. I like the bigger calibers because I will cast my own slugs, nad they are easier than the stuff smaller then 357.

Once you decide I will gladly help with any data I have available. I have or still do shoot all the calibers larger then 357. I like big and slow.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Shoot what you have or what you like. I started with a 44/40 because i had one. Works fine but way more gun than you need. I now use a 32/20 which I love but then I like the old calibers. The best rational choice in my opinion would be a .357/38. Lots of reload options and more than up to the task at hand. You could cast your own bullets too with no problem.
Richard
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

In theory, it's .22 magnum all the way. Here's why. No reloading. Minimum recoil. Flat shooting and best at bucking wind. I come up 2.5 minutes from chicken to rams. You could shoot one sight setting if you wanted. It reliably knocks down the rams with 45gr Hornady or Federal 50. Oftentimes, the 40's will knock down rams. It depends on how the rams are set and their construction and condition.

Here's why not. Ammo is non existent right now. Plus there's a small choice of rifles.

Here are the rifles to consider -
Winchester 9422M
Winchester 9422M legacy
Marlin 57M
Henry frontier

If you don't go with 22 mag I would find a 25-20, 32-20, or 32 H&R mag.
- Joe
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

You missed one the marlin 18984 22 Mag.

If you are interested in one I do have one I am thinking of selling, complete with Marble Tang, and I might part with some of my 50 gr Federal ammo.

I know this is no the right form, but if interested send me PM.

I was not planning on posting it until next month, early bird and all that.

**== **== **==
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jeanne and I have shot 22lr, 22mag, 25-20, 32-20, 357, and 45 colt in pistol cartridge. If you are a AAA or Master then I would get a 32-20 or even a 357. We had a Marlin 1894m in 22 magnum and it was too light to shoot off hand. Every 357 I've owned was about a 3 inch gun and that's adequate. We now shoot Marlin 32-20's and I've tried every load you can imagine, but we've settled on one. A 100 grain xtp pushed by IMR-4198 and they both will do 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards...with a scope and we've had no problem getting componnents. If you are new to CLA and you're an A or B shooter then just shoot your 22. You're invited to come to OKC this summer and shoot our regional. We set the PC targets to fall with a 22 lr.
Just Be Nice **==
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

My choice would be a .32 H&R mag. if you can find one. Brass is strong unlike the .32-20 and the case fills up nicely, unlike the .357 mag with reduced loads, which most of us use.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I'd go with GlenRing's suggestion.
I keep getting beat by 25-20s - so I bought one. That will be my winter project.
I'm currently shooting a .45 colt, won Texas State "A" class with it, but don't think it will take me much further.
I'd stick to 25-20-32-20, 32 H&R or 357 if I were you, and pass on the .22 mag.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

The only comment I will make to that is. Last year I was an A Class shooter and switched a 38/40 and now and moved into AAA. Nice thing about it is easy to cast for, Trail-boss load have no recoil, and when those 180 touch a target they fall. I have not rung a target "YET" with it. It also buck the weather pretty good at 1000 fps.

Sometimes bigger is better catches more edges =)) .

I will take all the help I can get some days, and then again I do like my big bores.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I think the rifle is more important than the cartridge, long as the cartridge is acceptable. I found a nice Marlin 1894 38/40 full size rifle with a bad bore. Relined it shoots great now. Nothing special about 38/40's, long barrel rifle with a good trigger in the P/C class is special. Most of the guns you can buy are light carbines.

Not suggesting any rule changes, like it like it is, but If you could re-barrel to a different caliber my choice would be a cast bullet loaded 32/20 25/20 if I planned to use jacketed bullets.

Boats
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Boats is right - its more the rifle than the cartridge. I have been using a 45 colt (not a great choice, but its what I have.) Once I overhauled the trigger and found the correct sight settings for each target I did much better. I used the .45 in the Texas State Match and won "A" class...I could have used it in CLA too, but the rainbow trajectory is hard to deal with - but a 255gr cast bullet will take down a ram, even with one of those "half-a-bullet" hits.

Do a bit of homework, learn how much work you'll need to do on a rifle to make it competitive, which cartridge you can reload easily, which you can find/afford, the sights available for the rifle...with all the factors, then make your decision.

A bad caliber in a good gun will shoot much better than a great caliber in a poor gun.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

snaketail2 wrote:A bad caliber in a good gun will shoot much better than a great caliber in a poor gun.

Very Well said.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!