Shooting glasses

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Shooting glasses

Post by snaketail2 »

I've noticed several shooters using red/amber colored glasses when they shoot. I'd like to know more about this. Sometimes early morning light makes it difficult to see the targets - this might be the answer. What color? Who sells 'em? Do the really help?

Thanks,
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Shooting glasses

Post by Grizz61 »

Yes I do believe that different colors help in different situations. Yellow highlights and brighten dimmer days, Red/Blue/Purple/Green/ help accent contrast. Personally I use RUDY PROJECT - RYDON, because the lens are interchangeable, and you can get optical inserts. If you are going blind like me :)) , and their insert is large enough I can have progress no-line bifocals install. They are by no means the least expensive on the market, but they do offer a very good warranty and have stood be hind their glasses for 15 years for me.

Plus they make this pack assortment bundle just for shooters, but check out their other selections.

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/detail/SN790306S5

Grizz
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I use Decot HiWyd. Have several sets of lens, some used often others rarely, but useful at times. Lever Silhouette is a eyesight game for me. Anything that helps target visibility is worth having. Only way I know of to figure out what's best is try.

Boats
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

I have a set of Randolph Ranger shooting glasses with multiple lens colors and Rx inserts. I got and use them for Sporting Clays and they're great. For Lever Gun I've tried them all but the problem is that virtually any color lens washes out my green fiber optic bead. That nullifies any benefit from the enhanced clarity of the target against the background. Great target clarity but can't see the front sight. X(

For me clear shooting glasses seem to work best with the fiber optic sights.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Wow guys - I was kinda hoping to find something in clip-ons. Guess I have to start saving.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

snaketail, I get my tinted prescription glasses from http://www.zennioptical.com/ About $21.00 each for tinted prescription glasses (no bifocal) if you don't want designer frames. They sometimes run specials by 2 get 3rd free. I have a amber, yellow and red pair. I really prefer the red. For some reason, especially in cowboy they make the animals stand out when viewing through the rear peep.
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

On Wednesday I went to the eye-doc to get my eyes rotated and balanced.
I asked about getting a pair of sunglasses with Vermillion colored lens...had to Google "Vermillion" for them.
The Dr just scratched his head, but the optician found two lens colors, then when applied together, give Vermillion hue!
The new sunglasses cost was an extra $15, for the 2nd coating, and should be ready by mid-week.

The Oklahoma Regionals are next weekend - I hate to shoot with untested equipment, but I'm gonna chance it.
Will give the full details (like the colors of the two lens coating) after the Regionals.

So, untested = that means Ill be shooting with a new prescription, in a new color, with my newly-modified rifle-hold, and some untested, 2100fps, 170gr Ram loads. Good thing we have Friday to sight-in.

Michael
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

At least you have a good excuse now snake. Its important to always keep your excuse options open.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

OldRanger wrote:At least you have a good excuse now snake. Its important to always keep your excuse options open.

Yes, I call it "good planning."

'Cides, don't want to do too good at the Regionals - Not with the Nationals on the horizon. Not wishing to be reclassified now!

I shot a very good score in my last match. I'm an "A" shooter in PC, but shot an "AAA" score. And, was told, "Do that at the Nationals and they reclassify you on the spot." Really, do you get penalized for shooting too good?

Michael
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

snaketail2 wrote: I shot a very good score in my last match. I'm an "A" shooter in PC, but shot an "AAA" score. And, was told, "Do that at the Nationals and they reclassify you on the spot." Really, do you get penalized for shooting too good?

Michael
That is not a penalty - it's a promotion! congratulations.

You should be immediately upgraded to a AA shooter regardless of it being at the Nationals or a local match.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

snaketail2 wrote:I shot a very good score in my last match. I'm an "A" shooter in PC, but shot an "AAA" score.
Sorry to break the news to you, but you are now an AA shooter in PC. But if you shoot AAA scores at nationals you should place well and move up again!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

OK, but I don't have to be AAA yet!
I can deal with being AA - just not ready for AAA.
Maybe with my new glasses...
Thanks,
M
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Michael
Jeanne and I will be at the range Thursday so after we get the range checked out you can shoot some Thursday and Friday before the match. I use yellow lenses and Jeanne uses a vermillion. I think as long as you can see the front sight you're good.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Glenn
About those Tigers that Jeanne reported - is that like serious "cats and dogs" rain?
See ya Friday (with new glasses!)

Michael
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Michael:

There's a tiger sanctuary around Tuttle, OK, that was hit by a tornado, and some tigers escaped briefly. It was during a very hectic storm-reporting time for the weathermen and it became very comical, and the butt of some funny jokes and postings on Facebook, etc. I've attached one of the G Rated ones.

See you Friday! Bring your swim fins!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.