Browning model 53 for PC matches

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Browning model 53 for PC matches

Post by snaketail2 »

I have found that I might shoot better than my Rossi .45 Colt does - or maybe it just needs to be cleaned better.
Anyway, I want a new rifle - a .32-20.
Good Winchesters rare, Marlins are EXPEN$IVE and Browning 53s are pretty. A Browning 53 isn't cheap, but at least there are some for sale.
I see Browning 53s at matches, but seldom to I see them collect awards. Is this the shooter or the gun?
I've heard the comment, "They shoot good out to 50 yards, but not at 100 yards." (Still - could be the shooter.)
I can hold out for a Marlin, but the little Browning will always get my attention - what should I do?

Michael

PS: I'm in St. Louis and the 12 gauge is by the front door.
Unknown.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Browning model 53 for PC matches

Post by Hattrix »

I shoot a Cimarron 1873 in 32-20 and have no regrets about buying it. Put a Lee Shaver sight on it and never looked back. It shoots better than I can. I looked at the Winchesters and marlins as well.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I agree about the Lee Shaver, but I'm not a fan of 73s - a personal choice.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I too am looking for a PC rifle. Looking at the Browning too. Sure wish the Nationals equipment list was organized by shooter/placement. Would answer our questions. Having many quantities of 'X' brand doesn't necessarily mean the top shooters are using it. That also doesn't mean that the top shooters don't have the skills to use the worst PC rifle.

And the quest continues...
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Don't look and see where the rifle placed at nationals. The top competitors are choosing rifles because they like 'em! Just buy a 53 and see if it flips your wig.

As for being accurate at 50 and inaccurate at 100, that sounds a lot like the transonic effect suffered by HV .22lr ammo. Keep the loads subsonic and you'll do fine.
- Joe
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The only draw back on .32-20 is bullets. The best were the 100gr Speer bullets which are no longer made. Plated bullets work well and Sierra has a 90gr but I've not tried them yet. My browning does not like lead. Fowls the bore and takes forever to get out. Life's to short to shoot an ugly gun too! :D
Last edited by Another Dang 9 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I have seen a few of the Brownings on the line at different shoots and have a friend that has TRIED to shoot one. He told me to get the trigger good it is like reinventing the wheel. He has since gave up on it because of that problem. In my humble opinion a good trigger is the first step in a off hand game. I shoot a Marlin and have had some good success with it. It really likes the Sierra 90 grain bullet as well as the Hornady 100 grain. As for what the top shooters used at the Nationals don't go by that. Find a gun that fits you and that you are happy with. Just my opinion. Mike Haynes
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Mike - I think you gave me the answer I was looking for.

Michael
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

@Another Dang 9 - while I don't have a 32-20, I read that 7.62x39 bullits are also .311 and that Berry's could possibly be used. Although roundnosed.

@mike - I'd like shooting with a pistol grip stock. Ideally the manufacturers would have a centerfire (.32-20, .357, etc) with the same configuration as a Marlin 39. OK, Marlin may have had a limited run of something similar, but, nothing like that is available or never shows on the secondary market. Looking for something plentiful.
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

Don't discount the 32-20 with cast boolits. They can be quite effective and plenty accurate enough. I use .313 sized pills and clean the bore every 2=300 rounds. No leading what so ever.
T
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

chuckjordan2 wrote:@Another Dang 9 - while I don't have a 32-20, I read that 7.62x39 bullits are also .311 and that Berry's could possibly be used. Although roundnosed.

I have used plated bullets in my .357 with good results when not pushed to fast. Rainier makes a bullet as well for .32 cal but haven't been able to get any anywhere lately.
twidpa wrote:Don't discount the 32-20 with cast boolits. They can be quite effective and plenty accurate enough. I use .313 sized pills and clean the bore every 2=300 rounds. No leading what so ever.
T
For whatever reason my browning leaded up like crazy no matter the speed they went. I've just used copper jacketed or plated ever since. Marlins do well with lead bullets due to the Ballard rifling though so that may be a consideration in your choice.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I have both a Marlin and a Uberti 1873 (Cimmeron) in 32-20. The Uberti is incredibly accurate and has a great feel. Put a baldwin tang with a fiber optic front on it. Used a 100 grain xtp over 13 grains of h110. Hope this helps.
tim
coppertop
A Poster
A Poster

Post by coppertop »

The rifle in the picture is a Winchester 65 reproduction. The 53 had a straight stock. I have original 65 Winchesters in both 25-20 and 32-20. The 32-20 has a bulge about halfway down the barrel, and it still shoots jacketed or cast bullets into 2" at 100. That's about as good as I can shoot irons with any gun! The 25-20 does just as good. They are really hard to find, pretty high when you do find them, but you have to keep in mind that the value has increased 20 fold in 80 years or so. What do you think the Uberti, Cimmaron, etc. will be worth in 80 years. Your grand kids will appreciate that you held out for the Winchester!
Admit it, it's never the guns fault. M Sickel