The 7-30 Waters - again!

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

The 7-30 Waters - again!

Post by snaketail2 »

If you had the opportunity to buy a Winchester 94 AE in 7-30 Waters, at a good price ($450) - would you go for it? (Even if you had a perfectly good .30-30?)
I know the ammo argument, and the rifle's finish is a bit rough, and I don't need it...please talk me out of buying it.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: The 7-30 Waters - again!

Post by GTS »

Michael,

I would buy it. I say that mainly because I just bought one myself and misery loves company. Brass is easy to form from 30-30 and Speer makes a 130 gr FN bullet. I plan to use mine for silhouette when the mood strikes me.

Greg
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Greg-

Is 7-30 better than your 38-55?

After a day of thinking about it I'm still not convinced I should buy it...

It's kinda like that blonde at the end of the bar: if I go for it - "Is the ride worth the pain?"

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Better than a 38-55? Oh hell yes. Better than 30-30? Slightly, when you're comparing ballistics. That's what Waters intended
- Joe
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Michael,

Not better, just different. I guess it depends on the user to decide if it is better or not. There is no question that the 7-30 has much better ballistics than the 38-55, but when in comes to hammering one of those rams, a low recoiling load in the 38-55 is hard to beat IMHO. That and I just really like the case dimensions of the 38-55, 32-40, 40-65, etc., and all of those straight walled tapered cases of days gone by.

Greg
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I visited the rifle yesterday. In Texas we'd call the condition "rode hard and put away wet."
I suspect this one was used as a canoe paddle and a war club. Shoulda known that a $450 rifle was gonna have "issues."
Passed on this one.
M