Fiber optic insert for Lyman 17A NEEDED!!!!!

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Fiber optic insert for Lyman 17A NEEDED!!!!!

Post by 40-65rl »

I would like to try using the Lyman 17A with the fiber optic insert I saw at the match this weekend. If anyone makes them or can tell who does PLEASE PM me. I would to be up and running with the site for nationals. thanks.

Dick

rhennebry at bresnan dot net
dan222
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Fiber optic insert for Lyman 17A NEEDED!!!!!

Post by dan222 »

hi folks,
count me in also, in need of a fiber insert, for the lyman 17a. thanks.....dan
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I've never seen a commercially available fiber insert for the 17A. Sure would like to have a couple myself.

Every 17A fiber insert I've ever seen was "homebrewed". Most folks drill a hole in or notch one of the Lyman posts and superglue the fiber in place. Some folks affix the free end of the fiber to the bottom of the globe near the end of the globe nearest the muzzle, but I've seen just as many not be attached by anything more than the one end.

Another option, sans-globe; Lots of folks use one of the commercial Firesights with the larger factory fiber replaced with a smaller .019 to .021 fiber though.

- Tim
Bit-Flipper1973
Unclassified Poster

Post by Bit-Flipper1973 »

Glenn Ring told me about this question by 4065-rl so I registered with steel chickens to answer in case it was my sights. I shot at the Sooner Classic regional.
You may have seen my front sights that I have used for several year( around 5 or 6 years) and shoot point of aim with them. I needed make changes over the years to the sight as the rules were changed. I do not make and sell them but they a fairly easy to make.
There was a pictures taken of my sight several years ago at the Nationals and a gentlemen from Texas made up some insert to sell but this was before some of the rule changes. I do not think he makes them any longer.

The sentence in the rule book that causes a problem is "Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8" in length". With this rule the fiber optic material could not be any longer than the thickness of the insert itself.

The sights that have been made by drilling a small hole in the insert bead and then gluing a short length of fiber optic in the hole are usually illegal because the fiber optic material is longer than the support blade (the thickness of the insert). Also most factory sight fiber optic sight have a bump on each end to keep the fiber optic material in the sight blade. This makes the fiber optic material longer that its supporting blade.

My sights are the Lyman 17a bead sight drilled with a .019 hole. On the back side of the insert I solder what looks like a "7" made out of a bobby pin (narrowed so it is smaller that the beads post) to the insert just below the bead. The point of the "7" shape is just below the bead and the long side of the "7" shape is pointed down to hide behind the blade of the insert. Then the fiber optic is glued to the bead and the long side of the "7" shape. This makes the fiber optic slope down and is supported by the insert for its full length making the sight legal. This make the fiber optic part of the insert and it comes out with the insert.
I have made .009, .019 and .029 sizes but settled on .019 and green fiber optic.
I have also made my sights to be green (non-fiber optic) and not any thicker than the 17a insert. It is not as bright but it did put a green dot on the target. I used this sight until they put the 1 1/8" length in rules.
Also as the skies get cloudy or a little dark the green fiber optic sight shows up better, I think.
I do other things like an beveling back the front side of the Lyman 17a sight to allow more light and using a glare tube that made my sight 1 1/8" long.
There are other ways to make the sight legal and I have tried a lot.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Dick I have passed on you and your shooting partners info to the guy here in PA that makes them. Hope it helps you out. Mike Haynes
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

Not wanting to get into a contest here but this is the complete paragraph about fiber optic front sights from the rule book.

Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8” in length. In an anti-glare tube, the fiber optic material may not be any longer than the tube or extend outside the tube. The fiber optic sights do not need to be commercially manufactured.

So, if you have a BLADE sight it cannot have fiber optic longer than the blade. If the sight, post or bead is inside a tube, the fiber may not be longer than the tube.

The tube is the support for the post or bead. Without the tube the insert would fall on the ground. The fiber may be no longer than the support, the tube.

It was worded the way it is because some shooters were wrapping fiber optic around their barrels to get even more light after mounting them on their blade front sight. Some use muzzleloader front sights others tried every thing possible with the blades. Most efforts failed.

With that said, The Lyman 17a with a post or bead that has fiber optic no longer than the tube is legal. The head of the insert is only .060 in diameter, is made of spring steel so it takes a steady hand or a mill, to drill it out for a piece of .019 fiber. It can be done.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

I plan on having a few of these for sale next week in Raton, NM. They are made to fit the Lyman 17A globe sight. The smallest Lyman post & bead measures 0.062" for the bead. The bead on these is between 0.062" and 0.064" and the fiber optic rod is 0.040". They are $10.00 each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

GTS -

PM sent with contact info. I'll take 3.

- Tim
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Tim,

PM sent. I will have 3 for you.

Greg
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

To All Interested Parties:

I will be taking the inserts I have on hand to Raton, NM for the NRA Cowboy Nationals. I will be glad to take your order and get the inserts to you when I get back and have a chance to make some more. If you are going to Raton and would like to buy one (or two), just let me know. Email is probably best, gts1096 at gmail dot com

Thanks for your interest,
Greg
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Greg -
If I come to the Benton matches in August can I buy two from you?

Michael
St. Louis
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Sure thing Michael. Just let me know what color you want and I will have them made up for you.

Thanks,
Greg
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Greg - sent you a PM.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I've seen a prototype 17A insert designed by aircraft engineers in 3D CAD and squirted out in thermoplastic using a 3D printer. They're not for sale...yet. It's the finest money can't buy
- Joe
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Michael - Sent you a PM.

Greg