Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette targets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette targets

Post by dhatch »

The targets for Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette is listed as Smallbore Hunter's Pistol. i went to Silhouette Programs at the NRA site to download the PDF for it, but it is not listed. Is it the same as for the Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action targets, which is Hunter's Pistol ?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette targets

Post by snaketail2 »

The clubs I've seen use the same "size" targets for both PC and Small Bore - the difference being the weight (thickness) of the target/animal.
So, the targets are the same size, but the Pistol Cartridge targets are made of thicker metal...it is not unusual to see a shooter use their .22 LR for both matches - and use a few choice words when they hit a ram that doesn't fall.
Same "size" for both.
M
Last edited by snaketail2 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

oh, O K, thanks, Snaketail.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

That is correct, both Smallbore Cowboy rifle and Pistol cartridge targets are 1/2 scale set at 40,50,75 and 100 meters. The difference is the thickness, and therefore the weight, of the targets:

All pistol cartridge targets are 3/8" thick. Smallbore chickens are also 3/8" thick.

Smallbore pigs and turkeys are 1/4" thick. Smallbore rams are 3/16" thick.

The most economical way to get set up for cowboy shooting is to get a full set of pistol cartridge targets (3/8" thick) and just get a set of smallbore rams. The .22 will easily take care of the PC chickens, pigs and turkeys as long as you make sure the pigs are properly set at the back of the rail. The only thing you really need to change is the rams.

Even if you only plan on shooting smallbore, I would get the heavier pigs and turkeys to start off with. If you start shooting smallbore, you will eventually want to shoot PC and you will have to buy a whole new set of targets if you get smallbore-weight targets. If you get 3/8" pigs and turkeys and 3/16" rams, you only need to get 3/8" rams to shoot PC.

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What Dustin said. Also you can just buy the PC rams, make sure they are painted well before each relay and count the hits.
:-B
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?