a question about PCCLAS class

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

a question about PCCLAS class

Post by dhatch »

i have found a lever action .22 magnum which, if i get it, i plan to shoot in the Pistol class. is it adaquate to knock down the hunter pistol targets or is it marginal? i have never seen the targets much less shot one.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: a question about PCCLAS class

Post by cedestech »

Generally speaking, no problem but the animals do fall slowly.... Unusually heavy or incorrectly set animals, you may ring them. I wouldn't let that be a reason NOT to buy one.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

also, in the 3 Cowboy Silhouette classes, does one have to dress up and have a nickname like in all other Cowboy Action Classes?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

cedestech wrote:Generally speaking, no problem but the animals do fall slowly.... Unusually heavy or incorrectly set animals, you may ring them. I wouldn't let that be a reason NOT to buy one.
i have found an Ithaca .22 mag and a M94 in .44 mag for $225 more and need to make a decision which one.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Sometimes, not always, a .22LR will take down the PC rams. Some clubs have "heavy" targets and the way they are set will alter your success. If you can knock down all the chickens, pigs and turkeys and leave all the rams - you'll score a 30 - and win. But first you have to knock them down. But a .22LR will let you shoot Small Bore AND Pistol Caliber matches.

The rifle I shoot my highest scores with is a .22LR - because it fits me best. If the .22Mag fist you well then you'll shoot it well. If you have the chance to hold several I'd go for the one that "fits" best (of course you may not know how you want it to fit until you've shot it several times.) Suggestion - look at how shooters hold their lever guns and find a hold that fits your style, then try that hold at the gun store.

And dress accordingly - The "Tom Mix" look is popular where I shoot. You can get away with "Mountain Man and/or Riverboat Captain" here in Missouri. And pick a name that sums up your shooting skills. I dress as an 1880s English Dandy and go by the name "Sir Missalot."

NO - just kidding about the clothing. This is not Cowboy Action - you don't have to dress up to compete.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

dhatch wrote:also, in the 3 Cowboy Silhouette classes, does one have to dress up and have a nickname like in all other Cowboy Action Classes?
Jesus no.... that is "cowboy action shooting" or something like that... think larpers with guns..... =))

All normal silhouette gear is allowable.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Which do you want to shoot? 22mag is HARD to find now, 44mag will be expensive unless you reload. It's a personal preference.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

snaketail2 wrote:If you can knock down all the chickens, pigs and turkeys and leave all the rams - you'll score a 30 - and win.
Note that if you shoot in Louisiana, you won't win with a 30. Also, you won't win in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Kansas, Washington, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Montana or anywhere else I can think of.

The point is that if you want to WIN, don't shoot a 22LR in Pistol Cartridge. A .22 Mag is fine and lots of excellent shooters shoot 22 Mag.

Dustin
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

dustinflint wrote:
snaketail2 wrote:If you can knock down all the chickens, pigs and turkeys and leave all the rams - you'll score a 30 - and win.
Note that if you shoot in Louisiana, you won't win with a 30. Also, you won't win in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Kansas, Washington, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Montana or anywhere else I can think of.

The point is that if you want to WIN, don't shoot a 22LR in Pistol Cartridge. A .22 Mag is fine and lots of excellent shooters shoot 22 Mag.

Dustin
Finally, a subject with which I have way too much experience!

AMEN to the "won't win with a 30"... Unless its a local match with primarily A/B/UNCL category shooters.
Heck I've even lost class category in more matches shooting a 30 than I've won!

However, even if all you have is a 22LR, by all means then USE IT, even in PCCLA.... It's not like we're competing for big bucks or some manufacturer's all expenses paid sponsorship in this game (least we forget it IS a game!).

Good luck & hope to see you at a match,

:ymcowboy:

-Tim
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

thanks to you all, for the feedback it matters, and you will see me at a match, but i need to know when and where concerning local shoots. and thanks for the info about Texas State Silhouette. i plan to be there if a all possible, shooting in all 3 classes. but, what about local, monthly shoots in the ark-la-tex area. i live just over 1 hour's drive west of Winnsboro. i need at least one local shoot to get classed so, where will i find local shoots listed? i'll see ya'll at the Southern Nationals !
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

We shoot smallbore and pistol cartridge CLA on the first Sunday of each month in Gonzales.

Dustin
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

dhatch wrote:thanks to you all, for the feedback it matters, and you will see me at a match, but i need to know when and where concerning local shoots. and thanks for the info about Texas State Silhouette. i plan to be there if a all possible, shooting in all 3 classes. but, what about local, monthly shoots in the ark-la-tex area. i live just over 1 hour's drive west of Winnsboro. i need at least one local shoot to get classed so, where will i find local shoots listed? i'll see ya'll at the Southern Nationals !

Closest for you, that I'm aware of in Texas, would be Arlington Sportsman's club (the club/range is located Southeast of FtWorth) on the 1st Saturday of the month, (which happens to be this coming Saturday), Haltom City TX (near downtown FtWorth) on the 2nd Saturday of the month, and Dallas Gun Club on the 4th Saturdays. Also, on the 2nd SUNDAY of each month, we hold a match at Austin Rifle Club just east of Austin. 4th Sundays there is a match at CTSA, near New Braunfels. Each of the above have both a SBCLA (smallbore) and PCCLA (pistol cartridge) match, but no Rifle Cartridge match(CLA). Also, I believe Dallas Gun Club restricts to no larger than 22Mag from a rifle due to range policies, for the PCCLA match.

If it's Rifle Caliber CLA (full size targets) you want, there's a monthly match on the 4th Sunday at the Heart of Texas Shooting Association in Mexia/Coolidge TX, or 2nd Sundays at CTSA near New Braunfels.

Depending on how far you'd consider traveling, there are also several clubs/matches in the Houston area, and Oklahoma City puts on a good match as well (Glen Ring and his better half on here should let you know the details about the OKC club).

Caveat on ALL of these; Be sure to contact the respective club and/or match director(s) to make sure whether the match is being held on a specific date/month! A lot of clubs are located in flood plains and are subject to the weather. Some may have range construction underway as well as several of the clubs don't shoot year around and/or during certain holidays. Some also don't shoot while the Nationals are being held (as most of their shooters are AT the nationals).

My .02,

-Tim

PS - Here's the calendar/events links to the clubs I described above. Some also have links to the match director's email address/phone number.

ARC calendar: http://austinrifleclub.org/calender/
CTSA calendar: http://silhouette-texas.us/calendar.htm
HOTSA calendar: http://www.hotsa.org/match-schedule.html
Haltom City: http://www.haltomcityrpc.org/levergun.html
Arlington Sportsman's Club: http://www.arlingtonsportsman.com/calen ... ar2011.pdf
Dallas Gun club: http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/calendar.php
OKC: http://www.okcgunclub.org/cal/Calcium39 ... Name=okcgc
Bayou Rifle Club near Houston: https://www.bayourifles.org/index.php/c ... view=month
PSC range near Houston: http://www.psc-range.com/index.php/calendar18
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

And, there is a very nice range in Benton, Arkansas. It is just south of Little Rock. Here is a link to their site: http://www.bentongunclub.org/index.html

M

PS: You may not win the Master Class with a 30, but that score will take AA, A, B & Unclassified - even in Louisiana!
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

snaketail2 wrote:PS: You may not win the Master Class with a 30, but that score will take AA, A, B & Unclassified - even in Louisiana!
Now that is true! But keep in mind that in Louisiana if you go 30 for 30 on C, P, T and get ZERO rams, we are going to make fun of you for a long time and it's probably going to get put on the internet.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Also, I am a big proponent of shooting 22LR in Pistol Cartridge until you are involved with the game enough to sink some $$$ into a PC rifle. That is good advice.

Dustin