a question about PCCLAS class

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: a question about PCCLAS class

Post by snaketail2 »

I can accept that.
Last summer I tried the new Winchester 42Max .22 bullets in PC. I thought the extra 2gr and higher velocity would help me knock the rams over - alas, the accuracy wasn't there - I would have done better with my usual Fed AutoMatch bullets. Didn't shoot anywhere near 30, but the rams I did hit went down.

Dustin - you going to OKC later this month? Or, the Texas State in September?

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote:I can accept that.
Last summer I tried the new Winchester 42Max .22 bullets in PC. I thought the extra 2gr and higher velocity would help me knock the rams over - alas, the accuracy wasn't there - I would have done better with my usual Fed AutoMatch bullets. Didn't shoot anywhere near 30, but the rams I did hit went down.

Dustin - you going to OKC later this month? Or, the Texas State in September?

M
Dustin knows if he doesn't show at OKC or Texas state match that I will personally adapt my best lawyer jokes to him (and I have a ton of them) and post them here on steelchickens. Even better, I'll pass along a big hug from him to a certain National match director.

=))
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

snaketail2 wrote:Dustin - you going to OKC later this month? Or, the Texas State in September?
I will be at the Texas state match but I cant make it to OKC (I wish I could)

Dustin
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

By all means if you only have a 22lr lever gun use it in PCLA to get your feet wet. As you work your way up in classification you could make the choice of a rifle chambered for a PC cartridge.
Also a 22 mag is a great cartridge if you don't reload. You will occasionally lose a ram. I used one for a few years and won the Pa State PCLA championship with it in 2009. My score was 55X60, which is good enough to win most of the time. But I did lose 3 rams and would have shot 58X60, which would have been a new national record, and a score that would almost be a lock to win most anywhere.
If you shoot at the level where you expect to do well at every match you attend, you cannot afford to lose even one target. Needless to say that was the last match I shot with the 22mag.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

At the Benton Gun Club, we shoot cowboy matches on the 3rd Saturday and the 3rd Sunday of the month. This usually puts them back to back, but this month, since the 1st was on a Sunday, there is a week between CLA and SB/PC. We get back on schedule in July and will shoot Sat/Sun in July, August and September. We will shoot SB and PC in October, but no CLA since most of us will be in Zwolle for the HP match. Also, on the 3rd Sunday, we shoot a HP match in the morning before the CLA match. If you shoot HP, you can get in 4 NRA approved matches in one weekend. Ain't life grand!

Greg