Is a tube fed pump, Cowboy Rifle allowed?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Is a tube fed pump, Cowboy Rifle allowed?

Post by dhatch »

just asking. is a tube fed, Remington 572 pump, which i think is classified as a Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette rifle, allowed to shoot in a Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette match?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Is a tube fed pump, Cowboy Rifle allowed?

Post by cslcAl »

Pump action rifles are only allowed in Smallbore Cowboy Rifle. They are not allowed in Pistol Cartridge or Cowboy Lever Action. Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Allowed, and a nice looking rifle too.

On a related note - My LGS has .22 Federal AutoMatch ammo in stock today - first I'd seen in 18 months. They also had the red bulk boxes Federal American Eagle, I went for the AutoMatch that my lever gun likes.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

Well that clears that up... b-(
T
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

yeah, bout clear as mud, but i do understand what the rules say and wouldn't expect to be allowed at a championship match, but thought the local match's would just to promote the sport. i've been shooting standard smallbore and hunter for a few years now and already had this .22 pump. i don't have a lever action rifle right now. what about it in the Ark, La, Tex and Miss area? would any of you allow a pump at a monthly, local shoot?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

There are 3 different cowboy gun classifications. For smallbore (which is what you are asking about) the pump is specifically allowed within the NRA rules. You could shoot it at any match.

3. Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette

(a) Any lever action, pump, or semi-auto rimfire rifle
with a tubular magazine. Only .22 long rifle ammuni-
tion is allowed. Hyper velocity ammunition is
prohibited.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

OldRanger wrote:There are 3 different cowboy gun classifications. For smallbore (which is what you are asking about) the pump is specifically allowed within the NRA rules. You could shoot it at any match.

3. Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette

(a) Any lever action, pump, or semi-auto rimfire rifle
with a tubular magazine. Only .22 long rifle ammuni-
tion is allowed. Hyper velocity ammunition is
prohibited.
so, would this mean that, at any given range that is hosting and advertising a match as a Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette match, that my tube fed pump would qualify, even though it is stated above that it is a Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette? Thanks OldRanger for your input. i'll ask more questions at the Southern Nationals next week, and find out when and where a nearby match will be and show up.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Just to be clear, as it has been mentioned above there are three separate classes of cowboy silhouette matches.
  • The "Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette" match is for centerfire lever action rifles of .25 caliber or larger with tube magazines with targets at 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters. Your Remington 572 is not legal for this match, as it's not a lever action rifle, not a centerfire rifle, is not .25 caliber or larger, and couldn't knock the targets down anyway.
  • The "Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette" match is for lever action rifles with tubular magazines and has targets at 40, 50, 75, and 100 meters. This match is shot with everything from 22LR rifles to 44 Magnum rifles. Your Remington 572 is not legal for this match, as it is not a lever action rifle.
  • The "Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette" match is for any lever action, pump, or semi-auto 22LR rifle with a tubular magazine and targets are at the same distances as the pistol cartridge match but the targets are thinner so that 22LR can knock them down more reliably. Your Remington 572 is definitely legal for this match.
For more info, you can go look at the online NRA rulebook for rifle silhouette here: http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/co ... r-book.pdf
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

O K, Thanks, i'll get a lever .22. what would be the most popular make and sights? i'll have to get a lever. i don't ever see anything about Cowboy Rifle Matches.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

"what would be the most popular make and sights?"
Oh my - what has he asked?

Winchester is liked by the Winchester shooters. Marlin is liked by the Marlin shooters. And, there are Henry shooters, Browning shooters, and all the other flavors. My suggestion - take your "rifle money" and divide it half. Spend 1/2 on the rifle itself. Spend another 1/2 on sights, and practice ammo.

Three sights are seen most often:
Skinner sights - you'll need to get the proper front
Tang sight - you'll need to drill and tap the rifle's tang, and perhaps change the front sight
Receiver sight - depending on which model rifle you have you may have to drill and tap...or not

I shoot a Browning BL22- it has a dovetail scope slot on the top. I mounted a Williams receiver sight on it w/o drilling anything and added a Lyman 17A front sight...Others will give you other opinions.

Bottom line - if you aren't having fun, you aren't doing it right.

Have fun,
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

O K , i just read about the Texas State Championships that was held this past Memorial Day weekend. they had all three classes. So, i have a M 94, .32 Win Special for one class, a pump for another, and will get a lever rifle for the third. i'll start getting them ready. thanks dustin for the original post. keep posting them, i would like to expand to these matches if i can know about them. thanks,
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

dhatch wrote:O K , i just read about the Texas State Championships that was held this past Memorial Day weekend. they had all three classes,
The real Texas CLA State championship is September 27-28 in Fort Worth.

Dustin
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

duntinflint - I'm not having any luck find info about the Texas State Match - got a source where I can register?

I'm assuming it is the Haltom City range, just east of Ft Worth.

M
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

snaketail2 wrote:duntinflint - I'm not having any luck find info about the Texas State Match - got a source where I can register?

M
It's in September, register when the registration form is put on SteelChickens. The first day is at Halton City. The second day is at Coolidge.

Dustin
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

dustinflint wrote:
snaketail2 wrote:duntinflint - I'm not having any luck find info about the Texas State Match - got a source where I can register?

M
It's in September, register when the registration form is put on SteelChickens. The first day is at Halton City. The second day is at Coolidge.

Dustin
Unless Jerry changed it since last I heard, it'll be Sept 27th at Haltom City for SBCLA/PCCLA and the 28th at HOTSA (Coolidge) for CLA.

- Tim