Behind-the-Head Hearing Protection

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Behind-the-Head Hearing Protection

Post by snaketail2 »

I started shooting long before hearing and eye protection was required and now ask people to repeat themselves often.
I found the CVS's purple ear plugs work quite well, and when it gets noisy I put on a pair of muffs too...can't hear much with both! (Yes, its like a belt and suspenders!)
But, I wear a broad brimmed hat and that means I need a Behind-the-Head style, or wear a ball cap.
Can anyone recommend a behind-the-head style of muffs that are higher than 19NRR? I may be old and half deaf - I just don't want to be old and completely deaf, and I'm not giving up my hat.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Behind-the-Head Hearing Protection

Post by Bob259 »

snaketail2 wrote:I started shooting long before hearing and eye protection was required and now ask people to repeat themselves often.
I found the CVS's purple ear plugs work quite well, and when it gets noisy I put on a pair of muffs too...can't hear much with both! (Yes, its like a belt and suspenders!)
But, I wear a broad brimmed hat and that means I need a Behind-the-Head style, or wear a ball cap.
Can anyone recommend a behind-the-head style of muffs that are higher than 19NRR? I may be old and half deaf - I just don't want to be old and completely deaf, and I'm not giving up my hat.

M
Peltor makes a few models, one is 20DB and they also have a 29DB set as well the Peltor H10B Behind-the-Head Earmuffs. Maybe a little large though.

Here's the link to their site to look at all of them
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 3508&rt=c3
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I need sun and noise protection, past problems both. Use foam plugs & max earmuffs. On top floppy hat that's too big fits over the earmuffs strap. Behind the heads never worked for me.

Boats
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

Hi snaketail2, The cure for large brimmed hats are earplugs that are molded into your ear. I'm not sure what the decible ratings are, but every body who uses them are very satisfied with the performance. Glenda Graves in Raton and Tony Tello in CA used to make these plugs at matches. I know there is a fellow making them at OKC gun club at the regular matches, Steve
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Steve. I'm going to OKC later this month, I'll look for the guy.

I had a pair 15 years ago that weren't so good - I hope technology has improved.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

I had a set of molded ear plugs but they were irritating after wearing for a while. A couple years ago I found these earplugsonline.com and they have worked better for me than any other option. If memory serves their db reduction rating is 29 db.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Good disposable foam earplugs are 29-30db reduction. Just sayin.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

These are 27DB, reusable and only $3.99 a set I have them in all my range bags along with my molded ones and std muffs. I like these a lot and think they are some of the best for the money you can get. (They also come with a handy little box for holding them when not in use)
http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-ac ... 44410.aspx
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
singleshotcajun
Unclassified Poster

Post by singleshotcajun »

Just a few thoughts on hearing conservation.I work in a refinery and have been a Machinist/Millwright all my adult life. I have had tinnitus since childhood and in my younger days almost no one practiced hearing conservation. These days I try to keep what little hearing I still have.Plugs and muffs are a good idea and in many areas of our plant this is a requirement, known as double hearing protection. I am on several safety teams in the plant and the biggest problem we notice about ear plugs is that many, too many people do not insert them properly and do not use the right size/style for their ear. My favorite is the "Gripper" but I am a big guy and these are big plugs. We keep about eight different styles on hand in plant. I wear Howards when handgun shooting but just cannot use headphone style when shooting a long gun. Inserting ear plugs would seam elementary but it really is not. Here is a good video on properly installing ear plugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Thatnks for that video. In the army they taught us to pull the ear back, not away from the head. You can see in this video why out is better. I wear foamies for 22's but double up for high power shooting. Hopefully this video helps folks protect their hearing.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I bought a pair of Surefire earplugs after talking to a sound guy at a music store in NYC. These are rated at 28db, they fit into your ear after insertion and the winged design holds them in without having to force them in. By far the most comfortable plugs I've ever had. The noise reduction is superior to anything I ever tried.
ppkny

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... nders.html