Cast or Jacketed bullets?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Cast or Jacketed bullets?

Post by Taps »

G'day from the Game Ranch
I have settled on a load of 17gr of H4198 behind a gas-checked 170gr cast from
a Lee mold using range lead in a 26" barrelled 94 Winchester that my son uses.
It shoots well, has very mild recoil and knocks down rams. :-bd
Taps
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I tried 4227 and 135gr cast bullets today. I don't think my rifle likes that combo. At 15 yards I was shooting a 1/2" group 3 inches high. I moved the target back to 50 yards and couldn't find the paper (bullet still rising?).

I tried 170gr GC bullets and 3031 and with Lever Revolution. The 3031 performed well in my rifle, the Lever Revolution was all over the paper...would need more load development, I've heard it's very good, but you have to work to find the right load.

This summer I'll stick to 3031 and the 170gr gas check bullet.

Interesting note: My loads with Lever revolution and with 3031 were listed as having almost the same velocity, but the recoil from the Lever Revolution was sharper - heavier. The 3031 burned significantly cleaner, the LVR was obviously smokey.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

The IMR 4227 found its way to my .45 Colt and the results were wonderful with a 250gr LSWC.
I shot a match this weekend with it and can honestly say it shot much better then I did. 20gr of IMR4227 and a 250gr boolit is a good combo. I did not change my sight setting during the match -I hold a bit low for chickens and "On" for everything else.
When I finished the match my bore looked like it had black oil in it, but it cleaned out easy. The misses I had were not the gun nor the loads fault. This is the best that rifle (20" stainless Rossi .454 ) has performed. (it is the Dyna-Cote or the load, or the combination of the two...whatever, I'm not changing it now!)
The hunt is on for more IMR 4227 powder.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Sorry to dig up an old thread - but, I've discovered that my 30-30 shoot significantly better with jacketed bullets rather than cast ones.

I'd been using 170 cast GC bullets from Oregon trail (.309) and had pretty good results - until I tried 150gr Hornady RN jacketed bullets - same powder load, same primer, same rifle. Significantly smaller groups.
Then I tried Speer 130gr FN with even better results!

I'm using 26.5gr of 3031 to drive the 170gr cast bullets - and the same for the 150s and 130s. I don't know the velocity of the 170s, I suspect around 1550fps. - would I do better with a slower cast bullet?

In the last match I shot I used the 170gr cast for Turkeys and Rams, and the 150gr jacketed for Pigs and Chickens.
Jacketed: 9 chickens, 9 pigs.
Cast: 4 turkeys, 3 rams

I'm seeing a trend here - I did better with jacketed bullets.

Planning to use jacketed in the Texas State match in September...wonder if a 130gr will take down a Mexia Ram?

Michael
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

If you go the Oregon Trail Bullet web site and under links, review the information/tests/experiments on www.gmdr.com. They used Oregon Trail bullets in Marlin micro grove rifles. Their results show there is certainly a velocity window and it is generally on the low end. The results are interesting. I shoot Marlins in .357, 44 and 30-30 and it has been my experience that when I start to push the velocity with any cast bullets in these rifles, the accuracy drops off. Using some of the higher recommended charges with Keith style bullets has resulted in key holes.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Tim:
Will call you this evening.
Thanks for the PM.
Mike
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I've been shooting the Speers since day one and now find myself in a fix with the supply disappearing. =((
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Went to the range yesterday. Speer 130gr is by far the most accurate my rifle has shot - a clover leaf at 50 yards and silver dollar size (1.25" for you young 'uns ) at 100 yards.

TLee sent me a sample of Hornady 170gs. Using the same powder load they grouped only slightly larger that the 130s.

I think I'm ready for ready for the Texas State Match.

Tim - Sending you a "care package" from the Italian grocer in my St. Louis neighborhood - I suggesting grilling 'em.

Michael

ywltzucanrknrl - I tried the reduced load with 170gr cast bullets and 10gr of IMR 4227 - very accurate, but a bit wimpy - recoil like a cap gun, but not as loud. I'll put that project on-hold until after the Texas match.
M