Which Lyman 17 sight for my Win 94

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Which Lyman 17 sight for my Win 94

Post by snaketail2 »

My Teddy Roosevelt Winchester 94 came in today - without a front sight(?).

I was gonna replace it anyway, but now I don't know what height to get (and, worst of all - I can't go the range tomorrow!).

The rear sight is a Williams FP/TK - what Lyman 17A sight height should I use on the front of a 26" octagon barrel?

Thanks for your help.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Which Lyman 17 sight for my Win 94

Post by boats »

Put two zip ties on the muzzle opposing, wrap in duct tape. Zero cutting down with wire cutters, use the finished height to pick the right Lyman 17

Foolproof.

Boats
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Uh, OK. Am I suppose to shoot it with the zip tie in place?
Better idea - ask Lyman - .494"
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Yep shoot it using the zip tie as a front sight.

Long standing muzzle loader practice is to put a front sight on too high then file down at the range to zero. Another way is to shoot a group with a sight on the rifle then calculate the correct height from the groups error. Have to have both sights on for that to work.

Or ask somebody who has never seen the rifle has no idea of sight radius and does not know the bullet or load, answer may be right or it may not be.

Temporary front sight to establish height is foolproof. Not as silly as it may sound.

Boats
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Boats. Lyman's suggestion worked fine and I have a lot of adjustment range left in the rear sight.