Breaking in my new rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Breaking in my new rifle

Post by snaketail2 »

I am fortunate enough to find an unfired 30-30 lever rifle (A Theo Rooesevelt) that I plan to use for CLA matches. It one of those "good uns" and I want to make sure I break it in right. What is the best way to break in a new barrel?

And as long as I'm asking - what molds are going to be the best choices for my new rifle?

Thanks in advance,
M

PS: Its still on the way here and I'll add a Williams receiver sight - then post a photo or two.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Breaking in my new rifle

Post by boats »

Lot of folk lore about breaking in. I would load and shoot cleaning end of the day, thats it. Nothing special.

Boats
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Lots of break in theory s...I know my guns didn't shoot well until I put a couple of hundred rounds through them cleaning after every 40 or 50 rounds.
Just Be Nice **==
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I was told that the rifle will never shoot better than the second bullet out of it. The first sometimes cleans up some of the 'loose' crud in there. The second one is perfect and its all down hill from there. Shoot it. Clean it. Love it!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.