M94 30-30 Cast B Weight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
avidhunter1
B Poster
B Poster

M94 30-30 Cast B Weight

Post by avidhunter1 »

Hello. I have a Winchester model 1894 30-30 Win. I have been shooting factory loads on the silhouette couse and its taking its toll on me and the gun. I have purchased a few different powders, primers, brass. I just need to make a decision as far as bullet weight. I have decided on either 150gr or 170gr. I like both penn bullet co. and oregon trail bullet co. I have 150 gr flat nose bullets currently on back order at penn bullet co. I can get the 170gr right now from oregon. Should I just settle with the 170gr or wait for the 150? Please help.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: M94 30-30 Cast B Weight

Post by dustinflint »

Are you talking about ram loads or C, P, T loads? I shoot 170 grain bullets at Rams but there is no way I would shoot 150s or one 170s at chickens, pigs and turkeys. I shoot 125 grain bullets at C, P, and T.

Dustin
avidhunter1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by avidhunter1 »

dustinflint wrote:Are you talking about ram loads or C, P, T loads? I shoot 170 grain bullets at Rams but there is no way I would shoot 150s or one 170s at chickens, pigs and turkeys. I shoot 125 grain bullets at C, P, and T.

Dustin
Hello Dustin. Thank you for the input. You have a very good point that I did not think about. I am new to reloading and shooting cowboy action sil. all together. Since I have found a good source for 170gr. Where do you buy your 125 grain lead bullets? I was going to load 170gr or 150gr for all animals which is what I would like to do to start out instead of loading different bullet weights. I am not competing.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

avidhunter1 wrote:Hello Dustin. Thank you for the input. You have a very good point that I did not think about. I am new to reloading and shooting cowboy action sil. all together. Since I have found a good source for 170gr. Where do you buy your 125 grain lead bullets? I was going to load 170gr or 150gr for all animals which is what I would like to do to start out instead of loading different bullet weights. I am not competing.
I dont shoot cast bullets. I've never found one that is as accurate as the jacketed bullets that I shoot (125 gr Sierra HP, Part No. 2020) I'm sure you can find plenty of 125 or 130gr cast bullets if you want to shoot cast.

If you are just going to shoot one bullet all the way through and your options are only 170gr or 150gr, I'd def. go with 150gr. You said that you're not competing, are you just shooting at the targets for fun? Are they free-standing or swingers? If you are shooting at swingers just for fun or if you're shooting at free-standing targets and dont care if the rams fall, you'd have more fun with less recoil shooting a light bullet at each target.

Of course (just my opinion), if you care about your score you need accurate loads and bullets that dont kick you for C, P & T, and you need something bigger that smacks the ram to knock it off the rail.

Dustin
avidhunter1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by avidhunter1 »

dustinflint wrote:
avidhunter1 wrote:Hello Dustin. Thank you for the input. You have a very good point that I did not think about. I am new to reloading and shooting cowboy action sil. all together. Since I have found a good source for 170gr. Where do you buy your 125 grain lead bullets? I was going to load 170gr or 150gr for all animals which is what I would like to do to start out instead of loading different bullet weights. I am not competing.
I dont shoot cast bullets. I've never found one that is as accurate as the jacketed bullets that I shoot (125 gr Sierra HP, Part No. 2020) I'm sure you can find plenty of 125 or 130gr cast bullets if you want to shoot cast.

If you are just going to shoot one bullet all the way through and your options are only 170gr or 150gr, I'd def. go with 150gr. You said that you're not competing, are you just shooting at the targets for fun? Are they free-standing or swingers? If you are shooting at swingers just for fun or if you're shooting at free-standing targets and dont care if the rams fall, you'd have more fun with less recoil shooting a light bullet at each target.

Of course (just my opinion), if you care about your score you need accurate loads and bullets that dont kick you for C, P & T, and you need something bigger that smacks the ram to knock it off the rail.

Dustin
I shoot swingers and mostly silhouettes that sit on a stand. I will give those bullets a look over. I just figured cast would be much cheaper over time comapred to jacketed. Where do you purchase your bullets? For now I guess I will just keep the order for the 150 gr penn bullet. I sure do appreciate your help on this. Talk soon.

Lance
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I buy bullets from wherever I can find them and I usually buy them in bulk (my last order for bullets was last month and i bought 1500 6.5mm bullets). If I start to get low on something I'll find some in stock and buy a bunch of them. I check at all the usual internet places. Cast bullets are usually cheaper than jacketed bullets but I dont worry too much about saving a few bucks if it means I get the accuracy I want; BUT then again I shoot these bullets in competition.

Dustin
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I load jacketed for my 30/30 170’s for Rams 125’s everything else. I don’t shoot many full size Rifle lever events and no real need for economy. Also like the fact my Ram loads can be used for Deer Hunting CPT loads for Varmints

However if you want to use Cast best thing to do is a bit different. Problem is going to be Ram Knock down at achievable cast velocity 1450 plain base about 1600 if gas checked, so best to go heavy. Most rifles won’t feed longer than 170’s though. Recoil with mild charges is not too bad and bullet jump from case neck to throat can be a problem with cast if the bullet is too short, pretty much rules out light bullets. Result is 170’s are going to be best for all targets. Hodgdon is discontinuing the best cast bullet powder 4759, just about as good is 4227 and it measures better. Have switched most of my cast loading to 4227 for that reason, reserving my stock of 4759 for larger cases like the 40/65

While I shoot jacketed there is a very good argument for shooting mild cast loads all critters giving up a few rams in favor of mild easy on the shooter loads for the other 3 banks. Anybody under Master class best focus on hits not knock down. Start to have one or two standing making the difference then go to Jackets and higher velocity.

If using store bought cast might want to try Mitchell in Texas, small shop nice people. I get all my handgun cast bullets from them including 38/40 for my 1894 Marlin used in CLA Pistol Caliber

http://www.bulletworks.com/cowboy_bullets.html

Boats
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

My wife and I have done a lot of cast bullet research trying to find a light recoiling but effective load in her Marlin 30-30. After MUCH shooting with cast bullets from 98 grains to 180 grains, we have found the following...Lyman 170 grain gc with 9 grains of trail boss. It's accurate, light recoiling and knocks down rams . She occasionally rings one, but the trade off is worth it. I shoot jacketed bullets much faster and I have rang rams.
Just Be Nice **==
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

That Lyman bullet is one I used too. Unique is another good powder, need to mount the gun same way every time though. Consistent mount is a good thing anyhow

On buy cast vs casting your own. I buy if I can, pistol caliber store bought do ok. High volume shooting MOA not needed. Need accurate loads I have to cast, tailoring bullet temper and size to the gun. Lot of trouble, one reason for using Jackets in 30/30 loads.

Boats
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Unique is great, but after pieces of a lever action hit us at a match, we use trail boss. The lever action came from together because the loader used a double charge of unique. Trail Boss is much safer in reduced loads.
Just Be Nice **==
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fwt1712 »

I shoot a locally (Australian) made commercial hardcast bullet (Hawkesbury 165gn) using Trailboss for cpt at around 1200fps (approx 9gns - check manual) and AR2207 (which I think is sold as H4198 in the USA) at around 1600fps (approx. 17.5gn - check manuals). These are very mild but effective loads (well good enough to get me into master grade) that are also quite economical to run. Regards Nigel.