Marlin 39A recommended modifications?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
aliascraig
B Poster
B Poster

Marlin 39A recommended modifications?

Post by aliascraig »

Hello MS shooters.

Well I finally have managed to get my hands on a nice pre Remington marlin 39A. It is an early 2000's setup with the safety unfortunately.

Unfortunately there are so many springs and modifications available for it I am just plain confused.

All I know is the trigger is horrible. It is heavy and has the most travel I have ever seen in a trigger. What springs or modifications do you recommend to the trigger, lever, striker etc. I am only interested in MS shooting, not rapid shooting for cowboy action type matches. People talk about weak, strong springs and all sorts of other things. I have also read that I should remove the safety from the gun since it apparently is a rebounding hammer type setup (according to one article).

Anyhow any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Craig.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Marlin 39A recommended modifications?

Post by cedestech »

Not sure if the cross bolt saftey is the same as the half cock saftey. Top of the page JP springs make a reduced power hammer spring that will lighten your trigger but the creep will have to be stoned out. If you are not comfortable doing it you'll need to pay a riflesmith to do it. Not rocket science but if you aren't careful or do it wrong you'll be buying new parts. Lyman reciever peep, large target apeture, the 1/4" tall Lyman globe, figure out the ammo the barrel likes and start shooting. Love mine, it's a 65 model though. ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Go over to RimfireCentral, then to the "marlin 39" forum, do a search for pages and pages on this subject. :D
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

Cut off the rebounding hammer crap, just give the sears a small tickle up no need to remove the cross bolt safety. No aftermarket springs needed. I have modified at least 40 of these in Australia and it makes a different rifle out of them.
I wouldnt dry fire it after the rebound has been removed (i wouldnt dryfire at all) as some of their firing pins can be a little long and may strike the back of your chamber

Dave McCarthy
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!