Remington Mod. 12 w/ peep sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ShooterX
Unclassified Poster

Remington Mod. 12 w/ peep sight

Post by ShooterX »

I'm new to silhouette and have only shot smallbore hunter class. Am wanting to try out cowboy action with my Remington Model 12 that has both the original iron sights and an original Lyman peep sight, which is the target type with a 1" disk and what I believe is a .04 peep hole, but I'm not experience with these peep sights. I also have Lyman peep sight for the Model 12 that is the hunter style with the fixed aperture ring that's not tapped for a target disk.

I've only played around with these peep sights a few times at the range but don't understand how you'd be able to have repeatable adjustments with them for each of the animal distances. I know you adjust the elevation by twisting the peep shaft up and down, but once the zero is set for chickens, how does everyone go about making sure it's always raised correctly for each of the next distances from match to match?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm assuming that the correct sight picture for using these peep sights would be the same as what you'd have with a M1, M1A or 03A3 with the top of the front sight in the middle of the aperture ring. Is that correct?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Remington Mod. 12 w/ peep sight

Post by snaketail2 »

This is how many of us do it…your experiences may lead you down a different path, but this is a start.
First find the ammo your rifle likes best – the most accurate for your setup. You will see many shooters using Federal AutoMatch, but start with whatever you can find.
Hopefully your Chicken setting is near the bottom of the sight adjustment – say 3 clicks up from the bottom. Once you have the Chickens elevation zeroed write down how many click up from the bottom it is. Then find how many clicks up it is to Pigs and write it down. Do the same for Turkeys and Rams. (You may find that Chickens and Pigs are the same setting.And the number of clicks up will vary with the ammo used...use the same ammo every time to be consistent.)
I use a small clipboard to hold my scorecard – my sight settings are written on a 3x5 card that is taped to the back of the clipboard. And prior to the match I make sure my settings haven’t changed (the rifle seldom changes, but I seem to bring a new set of wobbles the every match).
I found that my sighting from a bench position is different from my sighting when shooting off-hand. Try to make your final settings from the standing, off-hand, position.
At your first match you may discover some new methods and that most people are happy to help new shooters get started.
Hope this helps.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Some people might argue this point but I start with all my open sight rifles by making sure that the front sight is "exactly" on the center of the barrel.
I use a 'V' block and large enough surface so I can rotate the gun 180 to make sure I'm on center. Off center of the front sight can cause numerous mathematical problems (way beyond my brain) as you extend the distance of the impact point so I've been told.
ppkny
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Shooter, Welcome to the addiction! Counting clicks is the only way to go. Just like on an M1. I use to write my click numbers on a card too till the wind blew them away one day. Now I tape the adjustments right to the stock of my gun. Its a lot easier and its wind proof. :D
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member