pistol caliber sight recommendations?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
derherr65
B Poster
B Poster

pistol caliber sight recommendations?

Post by derherr65 »

I'd like to shoot a marlin in 45 colt in pistol caliber and rifle caliber competitions. What rear peep sight would be accurate, durable enough for at least several years, and have enough adjustment range for 200 yards/meters?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: pistol caliber sight recommendations?

Post by edgehit »

Williams fool proof with target knobs
- Joe
derherr65
B Poster
B Poster

Post by derherr65 »

that does look like a good one. My only concern is seeing mixed reviews on quality and durability. Are those maybe from rough treatment more than the sight itself?
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

You can't go wrong with the Williams. As far a durability you can decrease the necessity of adjusting the sights for the varied distances by working up hand loads for each animal. I don't have any experience with the 45 colt but for my 357(PC) and my 30-30 (CLA) I have loads that require little if any adjustment between animals. Most shooters will share what their using, that's how I got my starting mixes to work up my practical loads for my guns.
I started to experiment with different 22 ammo to accomplish the same thing but than the ammo shortage hit and getting anything in 22 is a hassle.
ppkny
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

edgehit wrote:Williams fool proof with target knobs
Joe -

I don't have any experience with 45LC, but if he's looking at using it all the way out to the 200m Ram the standard Williams FP MAY not have enough elevation adjustment, depending on the load and front sight used. IIRC, the standard Williams FP has 14 or 15 total turns of elevation. If his chicken setting starts out at say 6 turns, he'll run out of elevation adjustments. May have to play with shorter front sights or heavier (hotter) loads for Rams.

I also heard that someone makes a target screw for the Williams FP that gives it a few more turns of elevation adjustment.

Heard of such?

-Tim
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tim,

Brownells has the longer target knob screws. It's not uncommon to have to use one with a 39A also.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cslcAl wrote:Tim,

Brownells has the longer target knob screws. It's not uncommon to have to use one with a 39A also.

Al Foust

Al -

I remember that I'd tried using some Pistol Cartridge sub-sonic loads for the CLA 150meter Turkey one year and ran out of adjustment (was hitting them in the foot) and someone mentioned a longer screw available somewhere. It could've even been you that mentioned it (at NRAWC).

Thanks much,

-Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I shoot a .45 colt in Pistol and Long Range. I put a Marbles tang sight on my rifle - because I liked the way it looks, and it does look cool. But, if I knew then what I know now - I would have gone with a Williams receiver sight.

The recommended sight post for the Marbles will top-out at 50 yards - I replaced mine with the "Improved" model and now have a Mid-Range sight post. Still not perfect, but better than the original sight. Now I use a 6 O'Clock hold on chickens and pigs, Center mass on the turkeys and add 4 clicks (or hold top of target) for 100 yard rams.

The cold weather has kept me from sighting it in beyond 100, but I know I have enough elevation left to dial it in at 200.

My rifle likes .454 cast boolits. I generally use a 255 nrfp and a hit anywhere on the ram will take it over...a 230gr will too,but you have to push them pretty hard to make 'em accurate. A 185gr is a maybe on rams and not as accurate for me. For some reason a 200gr was all over the place - maybe more load development would settle it in, but I found the 255gr and a medium load of Unique did everything I wanted so I stopped looking.

I bought a 260gr mold and when it gets warm enough to be outside more than 90 seconds I'll work on casting my own.

My .22 lever gun has a Williams receiver with target knobs - I wish my .45 Colt did too.

M

PS: A guy on eBay sells a "thumb screw" knob that replaces theWilliams "screwdriver" adjustment locking screw - good buy. Just remember to back-off the screw before you try moving the sights up or down...go 3/4 turn and you'll be OK - otherwise you'll strip the adjustment threads.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Williams sells an extra long screw to provide more travel.

I can't imagine being very competitive shooting 45 LC in CLA. you're much better off with a cheap marlin 336 in 30-30. They shoot flat. Hit plenty hard. Less recoil. Best of all, less bullet drift in wind. This is a BIG deal in CLA.
- Joe
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Here is the Brownells info.

FP Target Knob Long Elev Screw
Part No. 962-157-240

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
derherr65
B Poster
B Poster

Post by derherr65 »

In my case 45 Colt makes sense because I already have the rifle - originally for Cowboy Action. I imagine it will take me a few years of practice to outshout this combination, unsupported is quite a challenge.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I agree - If you were in it for the money I'd go with at 30-30 (even better - go with a 7-30 Waters). But as we're in it for fun - shoot what you have and make it work for you.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Always shoot what ya have. Recoil is a major distraction to me so I've gone to the smallest calibers I could get away with. 22lr, 22wmr, and 30-30

Hmmm. 7-30 waters sounds interesting
- Joe
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Only one best choice, Redfield 75.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

L. Rivard wrote:Only one best choice, Redfield 75.
Similar to finding a reasonably priced JM stamped Marlin; "but only if you can find one"...

Williams FPs are good for what we're shooting, and you can recover 90% of the value back selling it, should you eventually find a Redfield and like it better.

My .02,

- Tim