Smallbore Semi Auto

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Smallbore Semi Auto

Post by caseyboy »

Is a semi auto that is a tube mag, but fed through the stock legal for the smallbore cowboy silhouette?
Thanks Mike
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Smallbore Semi Auto

Post by boats »

Rule book says tubular, here is a cut and paste from Wikipedia, Winchester 63

The Model 1903/Model 63 had a tubular magazines in the butt stock. The magazine held ten cartridges, and was loaded through a slot in the right side of the butt stock.[2]

Seems to me no problem

Boats
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

caseyboy wrote:Is a semi auto that is a tube mag, but fed through the stock legal for the smallbore cowboy silhouette?
Thanks Mike
This is a good question. I agree with Boats. The rule book only requires that the rifle have a tubular magazine. It does not specify where the tubular magazine must be located on the rifle. I'm sure it is legal.

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Don't see why not. I shot a Marlin 60 the first year. Tube fed is all it says... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tube fed lever, pump, or semi-auto actions are all legal for SBCR. That's why it's not called Small Bore Lever Action.
Bolt actions are NOT allowed. I personally would like to see pumps allowed in Pistol Cartridge, but we have beat that horse to death. I won't go there again. Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I began by shooting a Winchester 63.

I also picked up a Norinco take down auto clone of Brownings design for my daughter to shoot. It also loads through the stock. It's quite handy, great trigger and wicked accurate. You just have to watch for the empties ejecting onto your wrist. It was less than $200 at a pawn shop
- Joe
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

Edgehit,
That is very interesting. I can get the same Norinco here in Canada for $170 shipped to my door. I also shoot a Norinco NS522 in smallbore silhouette. I am Master in both guns and have also earned my Grandslam in each. The Norincos do shoot.
What sighting system do you use on the Norinco semi?
caseyboy
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I put a Williams FP-TK that clamps to the scope mount. Then put a Lyman 17 up front. I had to get a friend to make a dovetail riser for the Lyman.
- Joe
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

edgehit wrote:.......Then put a Lyman 17 up front. I had to get a friend to make a dovetail riser for the Lyman.
I'd love to see a picture of the riser.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

PM me your email and I'll send it to you.
- Joe
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Steve Earle makes bases risers and such. Steveearlproducts.com

Boats
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

edgehit wrote:PM me your email and I'll send it to you.
Sent. Thanks.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Emails sent. I had to find a shooting buddy who dabbles in his retirement with a mill. It wasn't cheap to make because it was custom height to fit the height of the rear aperture and the Lyman 17. My machinist drilled and tapped a set screw into the Lyman base to be sure it wouldn't move. He may have done the same for the riser. I can't recall. It's a great set up for a small shooter and the norincos trigger was surprising easy to tune. The rifle shoots sub 1/2" at 50 yds.

There may be better solution out there but I didn't find one at the time. I won't share the name of my machinist because he's not doing public work these days.
- Joe