Receiver or Tang sight?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Receiver or Tang sight?

Post by snaketail2 »

I have both, but I'd like to know what the rest of you are using. I'm trying to decide what to put on my next 200 yard rifle. Do you prefer a Receiver Sight or a Tang Sight?
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Receiver or Tang sight?

Post by jnyork »

Marbles tang sights on all four of my rifles.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

It is kind of like Ford vs Chevy. Depends on the person - and also the models being considered. I like tang sights, but not just any tang sights. Probably depends on your rifle too.

Brent
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Williams receiver sights for me.
Team Sierra Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have tried lots of each. I ended up with Redfield receiver sights on my smallbore and pistol cartridge rifles, but set up my Marlin 336 for centerfire cowboy with a Marbles tang sight. I just couldn't make peace with the thing being in the way of my thumb, regardless of it giving me a bit extra on sight radius. I've got a Redfield receiver sight back on it now and may actually go back to the Williams receiver sight that I started with originally as, unlike the Redfield, that one sits just far enough forward that I can use my adjustable aperture to adapt to changing light conditions.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Williams FP's on mine.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cimarron Red »

MVA tang sights on all my silhouette lever guns except one of my back-up rifles that wears a Marbles. I've been shooting tang sights for a long time, and I don't mind minor adjustments in my grip to accommodate them.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

If you check with a dial indicator nothing more precise than a good vernier tang sight. No machinery what you read is what it is. Checking mechanical receiver sights some repeat many won't. I gave up on anything but Redfield 75s or MVA tangs.

Most important part of either one is adjustable rear arpeture.

Boats
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Receiver sight all the way. They simply work with repeatable results. And they don't get in the way. I also shoot with ISSF style shooting glasses. I know it's not in cowboy fashion, but the front post is sharp.

As far as dialing in the sight setting, I've glued a vernier onto the Williams FP that allows me to dial in the sight setting to within 1/2 moa within seconds. That's better than I can hold!
- Joe
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Joe:
You got a picture of that sight? Sounds interesting.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Here's how we set up our Williams sights. I have these sticker sets and for us converted scope guys we are able to work these the way we are used to adjusting a scope. The sticker on the knob has 20 graduated marks and five numbers 0 thru 4. So there are in our terms 5 "minutes " per revolution and 4 clicks per minute. They don't equate to minutes of angle, it's just easier for us to call them that after turning knobs on Leupolds for 30 plus years. Might not make sense to everyone but it beats counting clicks.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cslcAl wrote:Here's how we set up our Williams sights. I have these sticker sets and for us converted scope guys we are able to work these the way we are used to adjusting a scope. The sticker on the knob has 20 graduated marks and five numbers 0 thru 4. So there are in our terms 5 "minutes " per revolution and 4 clicks per minute. They don't equate to minutes of angle, it's just easier for us to call them that after turning knobs on Leupolds for 30 plus years. Might not make sense to everyone but it beats counting clicks.

Oh HECK yes! I tried doing something similar with a silver sharpie and/or nail polish but could never get it to be small enough. You're brilliant Al.... but I'm sure you knew that already!

^:)^

Expect to see a few more Williams sights with similar labels at this year's matches.

-Tim
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tim, I might ? be brilliant, but I'm not that creative. I have been using these labels for years on all my guns. I originally bought them from an older gentleman who shot with us, and I have no idea who developed the program. I have the ability to copy these on to labels and one card will do 4 or 5 sights. I have been entertaining the idea of selling them.

Al
Team Sierra Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Gee Al... I just happen to know someone in the printing business!
:ymcowboy:
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tim, I can make them on my printer. Here is one row which I call a card. ( I can't get the whole card to upload, but you can get the idea.)
image.jpg
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member