How do I know which Marlin is the choice?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

How do I know which Marlin is the choice?

Post by snaketail2 »

After a lot of back and fourth decisions I think (could be wrong) that I'm ready to look for a Marlin XLR 30-30. I've read all the negative stuff about the new company and want to make sure I don't get burned. What should I look for to ensure I'm getting a fully working Marlin? JM stamp?
(Or, should I go back to looking for a Teddy Roosevelt Winchester?)

Happy New Year and thank in advance.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: How do I know which Marlin is the choice?

Post by Tlee »

I've both a 1948 vintage 336A and a later XLR336 and love them both. Both are +/- 1 MOA (or better) shooters with most all jacketed ammo I've tried to date. I've only worked hard at making lead projectiles shoot out of the older 336A, but I have every confidence the XLR336 is capable as well since it's also ballard rifled.

As long as you can find a JM stamped version, I would think it'd be hard to improve.

-Tim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Tim:

I knew someone from "back home" would know.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Absolutely nothin wrong with the Teddy Roosevelt or any of the commemoratives, if you like Winny's better.

Regarding the Marlins, you definitely want a JM stamped, older vintage preferred.

:ymcowboy:

-Tim

PS - check your email/PMs, I just sent you a link to a Winny Commemorative 30-30 in Temple that's priced reasonable
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

On the Teddy R model-
Love the looks, never able to find one reasonably priced.
Stumbled onto the Lone Star one, very reasonably priced.Never fired, and once I got the 50 years of grease and crud off it- SHARP RIFLE. No idea how it shoots, but all Winchester Commeratives I have owned shot vey well.

Same note - sorta
I had a chance to but a NEW Marlin 39 for a good price. Didnt think about the rep of the newer Marlins have attracted. Anyone experience with htese?
thanks
chuck
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks for the PM, and the follow-up.

I guess the game now is to see which I can find/can afford first.

Also - seems like the shortage of ammo continues. Was at a gun show last weekend - no .22 or much else... I felt lucky to find some .454 cast bullets. I noticed that a lot of people seemed to be unaware of the shortage - guy with his son were angry that they couldn't shoot their Christmas presents. I'm hoping this is only a seasonal thing.

M
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

snaketail2 wrote: . I'm hoping this is only a seasonal thing.

M
Been going on for over a year, not really very "seasonal".
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

My wife shoots a Marlin XLR 30-30. We have shot jacketed bullets from 110 grain to 170 grain and cast bullets from 100 grain to 170 grain. The XLR likes all of them.I have three Winchesters. A 1971 NRA commemorative and two Canadian centennial commemorative s . Two of my Winchesters shoot great...the third Canadian is unfired. My Winchesters do show a preference for heavier bullets both cast and jacketed. Because of the madness right now, we shoot the 170 grain Lyman cast bullet sized to .309. I use SR-4759 for a load around 1700fps. My wife shoots the same bullet with a load of trail boss at around 1200fps. She rings a ram occasionally, but it's a very soft shooting load. I had no luck with a microgroove marlin in 30-30.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

jnyork wrote:
snaketail2 wrote: . I'm hoping this is only a seasonal thing.

M
Been going on for over a year, not really very "seasonal".
It was bette for a while. I was seeing "plinking" ammo on the shelves before Christmas. I figured a lot must have gone for stocking stuffers.

Thanks glen ring - that's what I'm looking for.

M
HPSilhouettes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by HPSilhouettes »

I bought a Remington made Marlin 336XLR in 30-30 in 2012. After sending it back to the factory for a barrel replacement it shoots pretty good now. I knew something was wrong when it was shooting 5 inches left at 50 yards. I was told it had a bent barrel. After the fix it shoots nice and straight. I have several JM barreled rifles and have never had any issues.