Powder Coated Boolits

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Powder Coated Boolits

Post by snaketail2 »

Is anyone in the Silhouette game Powder Coating boolits? I read all sorts of things on Cast Boolites about Power Coating and/or Epoxy coating in place of lubricating the boolits. Their results suggests it works, but I'd like to hear from a competitor before I invest in this.

Other than making pretty color bullets is there any competitive advantage in Powder Coating?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Powder Coated Boolits

Post by Merlin »

I have used coated bullets for years in all of my handguns (except revolvers as they are harder to speedload IMO) with many tens of thousands downrange.... I would shoot nothing else in pistols... I have handguns with 50K rounds that I have never cleaned the barrel and they are sharp and shiny... . - might brush the chamber every once in a blue moon..... As far as rifles I don't know as the velocity is much greater.(?) Some of the guys I know have tried them with ~1500 fps loads and most have told me that they went back to jacketed as the coated did not hold up well at higher velocities and the coated ended up as crud in the compensator. The coatings used on pistol bullets is not, AFAIK, either powder or epoxy but some form of moly...
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I had the same confusion when Mike, the webmaster here, asked me if I knew anything about powder coating bullets. I assumed that he meant moly or another similar coating, but he did indeed mean powder coating like other folks do as an alternative to spray painting parts and stuff. I looked into it a bit and was surprised by how well it supposedly works. I don't shoot a lot of lead bullets so haven't actually needed to do it myself, but it does look interesting.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Was looking at them also...

http://thebluebullets.com/pages/homepage
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:Was looking at them also...

http://thebluebullets.com/pages/homepage
Looks like they only carry 9mm, .40, and .45 though, dagnabbit!

:-l

-Tim
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Coatings.... It was not too many years ago that moly bullets made their come back from the dead. From what I have been told moly was played with 40+ years ago by the benchrest community. If it was truly good and an advantage it would be used today. They are not.

At the time of the come back, I checked around and found none of the major barrel makers were recommending moly. Schuemann reported the rifling gone in a 45 barrel well before any problems would be found using non-coated bullets. There were similar reports by other in rifle barrels.

Now we have the next generation of coated bullets. I for one will skip all these coating. I see no reason to put any material between my barrel and bullet. Who truly can say what these materials do under the heat and pressure a bullet sees.

I do understand all the manufactures of these bullets are going to say, they are safe but for me I am going to pass. I pay too much money for my firearms to take a chance to damage them on the latest wiz-bang idea.

There are generations of knowledge on copper and lead. It works, it is accurate, and it is cleanable.

Greg
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

And don't forget paper. It's been working for 150 yrs and still going strong.