Multiple .22LR loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Multiple .22LR loads

Post by MOTO VITA »

I'd like to try using two different velocity loads in my Marlin 39 to minimize elevation adjustments on my Williams receiver sight. Does anyone do that? Does anyone know of any reason not to?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Multiple .22LR loads

Post by snaketail2 »

Haven't tried that, but I can give you a good reason NOT to do it.

When I change .22 ammo it takes at least 15 shots for the barrel to become "seasoned" to the new ammo - different lube, different powder, different weight...all incorporate to change the point of impact. Best solution - get a receiver sight with target adjustments - fast and accurate elevation changes.

Olympic shooters will "season" a barrel with 1500 shots. I had the good fortune to cover the 2000 Sydney Olympics as a pool photographer. I picked the shooting sports and learned a lot from watching the competition (like - that I was never gong to make the team!) Stick with the ammo that works best in your rifle and invest in a good target adjustable rear sight (you may find one on eBay).

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

Thanks Snaketail,
I would enjoy a good adjustable rear sight but don't know anything about them. The Williams was already on my rifle and I just added a target knob. Can I find one that will mount to the original mounting holes, or must it be a custom installation?
I'd prefer not to use a big front sight assembly just for aesthetics. This was my dads rifle so it's something of a keepsake. Is it feasible to use the stock front sight with any target rear sight?
By the way I'm just up the road from you near Florence. I shot CLA for the first time last year at the Three Points range, and hope to do so again this year. We may have met. Am I likely to see you there?
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

If you choose two ammunitions within the same line you would have no problem with barrel seasoning between ammos.

BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Prove to yourself that seasoning is or isn't something to worry about. I've searched for evidence of it with my best rifles, and I can't prove it happens.

The best benchrest shooters are cleaning between cards so if seasoning is a big deal it has to happen with the first few sighters.

But I think it is far easier to adjust sights. I use vernier sights for the most part so that repeatable sight settings are not a problem.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I use Lapua Master M standard velocity for chickens, pigs, & turkeys. I bought a case of it sometime back and am still using it because it is so accurate in my Marlin 39A. The bullet has a dry lube. For Rams I switch to SK High Velocity, which is also very accurate. But it has what I call a wet lube--one that will rub off on your fingers. I use this round because I don't want to lose a ram, which can sometimes happen with a standard velocity bullet.

In testing, I can see no difference in point of impact between the two bullets, except that I have to change elevation settings from turkeys to rams. It doesn't take several rounds for the barrel to be seasoned when switching bullets. By the way, my testing was done on a bench with a 20X Leopold scope at 100 yds.

Jim
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Moto:
If you have a Williams sight you should be good to go. Just remember to loosen the lock screw when you change elevation (you can strip 'em if not).
I used to shoot at 3-Points - but I'm moving out of state - got transferred to St. Louis. Nice bunch of folks out there.
Seasoning the bore may not work for everyone - it does for me. I found a round that works well in my lever gun and will stick with it.
You can also shoot at Ben Avery in Phoenix or Rio Salado in Mesa, but you'll like Ben Avery best.

Ben Avery Range
IMG248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Trent wrote:If you choose two ammunitions within the same line you would have no problem with barrel seasoning between ammos.

...(snip)
Agreed...

I found when switching between 2 types of the same brand (i.e. - Standard Velocity for close targets, High Velocity for Rams), I've never had to season (fire fouling shots).

I DO see a requirement for it when switching between something like Federal to Eley or Wolf/SK... Especially when switching from Wolf/SK to anything else, I usually wet patch or snake the barrel with some Hoppes, then run a dry patch through.... Otherwise it takes a good 30+ shots for the groups to settle down. I'm sure it's lube related. I need less fouling shots when going TO Eley or Wolf/SK when going from anything else, even if I don't patch or snake the barrel.

Regarding using 2 (different) types in the same day or match... I seldom do that, unless it's a day I happen to make a last minute decision to shoot PCCLA using my 22LR rifle (like if I FORGOT to bring the PCCLA ammo or rifle #-o ). On those occasions I'll make sure to use High Velocity ammo, especially on the Rams.

If I use the same high velocity ammo all the way thru the different distances, I see almost exactly one full turn in elevation change on either rifle when going from my Chicken/Pig setting to the Turkey, then approximately one full turn more for the Rams.

my .02,

-Tim
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

I've been shooting Mini Mags and they work well so I'll try some CCI Std and see how that works on chickens and pigs.

Tlee that's a good tip about counting turns of the screw instead of clicks, like I've been doing. Those faint clicks are hard to keep track of. I'll try that too.
Thanks
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

I tried the CCI STD/Mini Mag combo. At 40 meters the Std impacted high and left of the Mini Mags. Oh well, back to the drawing board.