Change in venue for 2015 CLA Nationals

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Change in venue for 2015 CLA Nationals

Post by GregG »

AMB wrote:Changing venues will have no effect on the growth of CLA one way or another, and Raton will never be Camp Perry. By not rotating it the only ones positively affected are those with in easier driving distance and those who disdain change. Leaving it at Raton essentially still keeps it a regional match, simply call it the “South West Region”. The losers are the large groups of Shooters in other parts of the Country who can’t for whatever reasons make the trek. The only reason to oppose rotation is Self – Interest, and that’s ok, it’s your choice as a citizen and competitor. Personally I would love to see it move, give more people a chance to compete in Nationals while the game is still around. Let it rotate anyplace that has the facilities and people power to handle it, NW, SE etc.

And if it doesn't rotate, I won't stomp my foot and say I won't go, I'll try just try and make it when I can. Al Bean

To you point of calling it the south west regional to an lesson the matches importantly, is it better than the eastern regional when the matches are shot there.
Any where a national match is held in this large country is going to cause someone an issue. And this thought process IMHO only damages the sport.
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

GregG wrote:
AMB wrote:Changing venues will have no effect on the growth of CLA one way or another, and Raton will never be Camp Perry. By not rotating it the only ones positively affected are those with in easier driving distance and those who disdain change. Leaving it at Raton essentially still keeps it a regional match, simply call it the “South West Region”. The losers are the large groups of Shooters in other parts of the Country who can’t for whatever reasons make the trek. The only reason to oppose rotation is Self – Interest, and that’s ok, it’s your choice as a citizen and competitor. Personally I would love to see it move, give more people a chance to compete in Nationals while the game is still around. Let it rotate anyplace that has the facilities and people power to handle it, NW, SE etc.

And if it doesn't rotate, I won't stomp my foot and say I won't go, I'll try just try and make it when I can. Al Bean

To you point of calling it the south west regional to an lesson the matches importantly, is it better than the eastern regional when the matches are shot there.
Any where a national match is held in this large country is going to cause someone an issue. And this thought process IMHO only damages the sport.
I apologize my point did not come out as intended. It is the Nationals no doubt about it, and because it's a legitimate National Championship top shooters do attend from both near and FAR. The point I was trying to make is it's not "centralized" it's the Nationals annually held in the SW region of the Country.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Folks -

I just spoke with one of the committee members and he reminded me that they meet in approximately one month.
So, regardless of your position/opinion on this matter (or any other you'd like them to consider), he recommended your input get to the NRA Silhouette department ASAP, as the packages are being assembled SOON to send out to the members. Silhouette@nrahq.org is the recommended email address. USPS snailmail to NRA headquarters, attention Silhouette department.

-Tim
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I'll let the committee know my opinion that the CLA national location needs to remain at the place of its inception.

Perhaps Ridgeway could host a regional, like was mentioned before, and enjoy success with the likes of the southern nationals and Conard?

I share the same opinions as Lone Ringer and Greg, you shouldn't move the venues location so that it may continue to develop a culture and history, like Camp Perry.
- Joe
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

We host A Regional every year at the McKean County Rifle Club.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

It should be noted that the Eastern Regional quite often conflicts with the CLA Nationals. It did this year and most likely it will next year. They usually have the regional over the July 4th weekend and that's been the dates for Nationals also usually. Several of us always go to Raton and we miss the regional. It would be great to have this regional before the Nationals as it would be a great tune up.It did work out that way in 2012 and that's the year I won the CLA title at Raton.Several of us have expressed our concern to the people involved, but it does not seem to matter to them. I don't know why the Silhouette Department would sanction a regional anywhere in the country that conflicts with the Nationals. That situation is only going to hurt both events.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

The Eastern Regional Championships have been hosted at the MCRC for 9 years always over 4th of July Weekend so these are not “usually” held dates. In 2012 it didn’t conflict because Nationals were held July 10 – 13. I don’t know what other years NRA Nationals didn’t conflict, because I couldn’t find any NRA National results on line that far back. The ERC is held over that weekend for a several reasons; 1) It gives us the ability to run a Registered (eligible for records) three day shoot in a three 80 shot (40 x2) match format. 2) Being a Holiday weekend it saves on Vacation Days for those involved. 3) We’ve polled more than just several shooters and couldn’t come up with a preference for or against the Holiday weekend. We normally get around 45 competitors.

Several known PA shooters attend Raton every year and often there is another couple new faces that make the trip. So basically we lose maybe 5 PA shooters that would have probably attended the shoot and another 2-3 from the region. We hate to lose those guys and gals, I personally miss them ‘cause they’re all top shots and it reduces the top competition. But our match director decided with no dissent from us who help run the shoot, we weren’t going to juggle our dates and take away an opportunity to hold a big shoot on a convenient weekend to accommodate several guys for a “tune-up” for Raton. So that’s the reasons why and the people involved “it does not seem to matter to”.

We run a great match, but no one skips Raton so they can go to the Eastern Regional at MCRC. Our match Director Rob Drummond, who’s on the Silhouette committee, along with his wife Tery run the Regional and don’t even shoot. They simply hold a quality match so Club members and Competitors in our Region have an opportunity for a big event. MCRC by the way has been putting on big shoots for over twenty five years. Al Bean
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Bummer. I prefer the Raton location and the ability to shoot both the CLA and BPCR disciplines. This will be a major hit to my shooting agenda.

Everyone has their priorities. Mine are to the west, not the east.

Just bought a Pistol caliber rifle too. Well, at least I'll get one match out of it.

Brent
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

I agree with Brent keep it in raton, so we can shoot 22 bpcr and black powder bpcr !
Al Sledge
Unclassified Poster

Post by Al Sledge »

First off, how many cowboys ya ever see in Pennsylvania! Seriously though, as one previous gentleman noted our reasons for choosing one place over another are personal; expense, time, travel difficulties, or just plane old egotistical desire to have the nationals in your own backyard, it makes no difference. Another shooter noted that tradition should dictate and they should stay where they were first fired and there is something to be said for that! Also, though I’ve never been to the range in Pennsylvania I would question there being sufficient range space to host a National match with as many contestants as the range at the Whittington Center is capable of accommodating. Those of you who have been at the Center know what a huge range it is and what it’s like getting from one shooting position to another between relays as well as how long it takes, even with that size range, to finish the matches and award ceremonies; one more relay and I’d go crazy! A smaller range with potentially even more competitors…………I don’t think so!

For me I started shooting the CLR, first because they looked like fun and a good way to fill in a couple of days surrounding the BPCR and BP Target Rifle Championships. Secondly it allowed me to stay at the Whittington Center shooting for two and a half weeks. Now, if the CLR Nationals were to move nearly 3000 miles away it would absolutely preclude my attending them while at the same time, since the BPTR has moved into September, would reduce my stay at Raton to only a week. Now for me to spend over 1500 bucks and take off over a week from work to shoot for four days of BPCR just isn’t in the cards. Now those of you who are willing to stay and shoot the .22 BPCR a previous poster referred to will begin to appreciate being able to stay there for a couple more days of matches and realize why I personally would like to see the CLR matches remain at the Whittington Center.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Al Sledge wrote: "First off, how many cowboys ya ever see in Pennsylvania! Seriously ........Well I know of one that's close by.
ppkny
TURKEYSFEARME
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TURKEYSFEARME »

I have been shooting silhouette for the last 14 years and have had the honor of competing at many fine clubs in the east, MCRC being near the top of that list, I have competed in every smallbore and highpower national held at Ridgway since 2000. In this time I have talked with shooters from all over the country and the vast majority of them have told me how much they enjoy attending nationals in Pennsylvania. I have not attended nationals in Raton, main reason being cost, Though I do hope to compete there some day. In all the other silhouette disciplines the national championship rotates. Most shooters I know love this since they have a chance to compete without being overly burdened with the related expenses. I'm sure there are lots of shooters in the west that won't attend nationals in the east because of expense, however there are just as many in the east that never travel to Raton for the same reason. It is definitely Unfair to the east coast shooters to not rotate the cowboy nationals. Pennsylvania alone has one of the largest and most active communities of silhouette shooters in the country Who are essentially excluded from competing nationally in the most popular fastest growing segments of the silhouette sport because of the unwillingness to rotate locations as has been done with all other silhouette championships. Last spring I took the leap and started a silhouette program at my club, it has been a great success. I don't think I fully appreciated all the hard work and dedicated people it takes to run a successful match in the past but I do now and will try even harder to grow our sport in the future, the only part I don't like is the disappointment a new shooter feels when I tell them the nationals never come to the east. It is simply cost prohibitive for most new shooters. To sum it all up I think the cowboy nationals should be treated the same as the other national championships.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

TURKEYSFEARME wrote:In all the other silhouette disciplines the national championship rotates...
To sum it all up I think the cowboy nationals should be treated the same as the other national championships.

Actually, not true. In BPCR silhouette, every national championship, since the inception of the event (1986), has been at Raton.

That said, I hear where you are coming from, but I will be one that won't be in PA. I wouldn't go to Raton either, were it just for the CLA nationals either. But instead, I can shoot the CLA, the BPCR and the .22"BP"CR Nationals all in just over 2 weeks. It is a hell of a lot of shooting value for one's dollar and one's time. PA will not match that, not even close. Given that some competitors travel half a globe to participate, multiple shooting venues in one location is probably extra desirable.

While rotating nationals may sound appealing, they are probably hell to schedule, worse to staff, and make it somewhat difficult for competitors to plan for.

Anyway, there are good and bad points to either plan.
TURKEYSFEARME
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TURKEYSFEARME »

BrentD wrote:
TURKEYSFEARME wrote:In all the other silhouette disciplines the national championship rotates...
To sum it all up I think the cowboy nationals should be treated the same as the other national championships.

Actually, not true. In BPCR silhouette, every national championship, since the inception of the event (1986), has been at Raton.

That said, I hear where you are coming from, but I will be one that won't be in PA. I wouldn't go to Raton either, were it just for the CLA nationals either. But instead, I can shoot the CLA, the BPCR and the .22"BP"CR Nationals all in just over 2 weeks. It is a hell of a lot of shooting value for one's dollar and one's time. PA will not match that, not even close. Given that some competitors travel half a globe to participate, multiple shooting venues in one location is probably extra desirable.

While rotating nationals may sound appealing, they are probably hell to schedule, worse to staff, and make it somewhat difficult for competitors to plan for.

Anyway, there are good and bad points to either plan.
Sorry about that I forgot about BPCR, I can see how this is so appealing to have the opportunity to compete in two national championships in two weeks. The point of all of this is not to take away an event that so many shooters love but to afford the same opportunity to a broader group of shooters. this year you will again have the opportunity to attend two nationals. next year [2015] east coast shooters will have the opportunity to attend smallbore high power and CLA, the following year it will be your turn again.
Both Ridgway and Mckean county are self sufficient clubs and would require no additional assistance from the NRA beyond their usual duties, and from a logistical point of view it would be an easy transition between the two national events for the NRA as the two clubs are only about 40 miles apart.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Just curious, whats the closest club to Lebanon Kansas? Thats the geographic center of the US. Just sayin...
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.