A better PC rifle?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

A better PC rifle?

Post by SqHunter »

I am interested in a better PC rifle. We currently use a Henry Frontier 22mag, and it is by far the most accurate lever we have, but it also is not enough gun. My wife rang 4 pigs and two rams at the last match and is now really discouraged. I have tried all kinds of ammo and it doesn't seem to really make a difference. If the pigs are set heavy they just will not go down.

Appreciate your advice.

---Edit. Wife corrected my memory of the number of rang animals. Edited accordingly.
Last edited by SqHunter on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: A better PC rifle?

Post by cedestech »

Henry 357.... Wife has the 20" Allweather. Trigger needs love then it's good. Even the lightest, accurate load you can make will be cheap and knock down any PC target.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

try 50gr Federal or 45gr Hornaday Critical Defense.

I find the 50 Federal to be slightly more reliable knockdown and accurate for PC lever.

357 Mag with cast bullets, plated bullets or inexpensive jacketed bullets will cost you less to reload than 22 mag ammo.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

cedestech wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:17 pm Henry 357.... Wife has the 20" Allweather. Trigger needs love then it's good. Even the lightest, accurate load you can make will be cheap and knock down any PC target.
Is it very accurate with iron sights? I have looked at them befor but decided against it because of the short sight radius.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

dwostler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 pm try 50gr Federal or 45gr Hornaday Critical Defense.

I find the 50 Federal to be slightly more reliable knockdown and accurate for PC lever.

357 Mag with cast bullets, plated bullets or inexpensive jacketed bullets will cost you less to reload than 22 mag ammo.

Dennis
We shoot the 45 grain at rams, but it patterns like a shotgun so don't use it for everything. It is expensive too.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Have you tried the 50 gr Federal’s?

I have a Marlin 57m that would shoot a 1 to 1.5” group at a 100 meters.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

SqHunter wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:07 pm
cedestech wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:17 pm Henry 357.... Wife has the 20" Allweather. Trigger needs love then it's good. Even the lightest, accurate load you can make will be cheap and knock down any PC target.
Is it very accurate with iron sights? I have looked at them befor but decided against it because of the short sight radius.
They shoot these targets with pistols with a 10” iron sight radius....

She shoots buckhorns and is AAA so I’d say plenty accurate.

If they’d make a 24 I’d buy one on principle.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Emmit is correct about sight distance. A 10” barreled pistol with peeps will definitely shoot all 10 rams. Been there and done that. So don’t fret over sight distance.

Sounds like your home range targets are heavy. A 22 mag with 40’s will knock down everything if the targets are 100% correct, set right, and no wind holding them up. As for Hornady 45 and crappy Federal 50’s - they aren’t accurate. But then no one told Mullins that and he wins Nationals with Hornady’s.

The PC gun is the toughest to tune and shoot well. Buy about 12 different guns. One will shoot. Sell the rest.

Pick a cartridge. I prefer the 25-20. It’s the 22 mag on steroids. 75 to 87 gr at 1750 fps takes Rams with ease, and there’s about 3 min elevation from C to R. And Hornady 60’s shoot like lasers, or can be downloaded subsonic with no recoil, like shooting a 22 lr ... My second fav is the 22 mag, followed by anything 32.
- Joe
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

The 357 is really hard to beat. I only shoot a 125 grain bullet with a very light load and I have never rang a thing. The 32-20 is also very good and a Marlin can be found a little cheaper and easier than a 24” 357.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Mike, IF you can find a 24" Marlin!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:03 pm Mike, IF you can find a 24" Marlin!

I really enjoy my 24" .357 CB but now shoot this instead....

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1873- ... arrel.html
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Merlin wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:23 pm
Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:03 pm Mike, IF you can find a 24" Marlin!

I really enjoy my 24" .357 CB but now shoot this instead....

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1873- ... arrel.html
Does it shoot well?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Consider the Winchester 1873 Sporter 24" .357 Magnum. It has a lighter trigger than the Uberti and its tang is already drilled and tapped for a peep sight. My load with it shoots 2.2 MOA at 100 meters.
-Charlie Meli
Match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Choosing between the Winchester or Uberti is tough as they are both price about the same. The big issue is for folks like me who bought our Marlins for $650 back in the day and can't bring ourselves to pay almost $1500 for something we consider to be only on par to the Marlin. I do like the color case hardend frame and want to do that to my Marlin but just can't part with it for that long while its being done. Separation anxiety would get to me. :o3
If I had a time machine I would buy up a dozen Marlins immediately.$$$
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I have not had a scope on the Marlin or the Cimarron and I cant shoot/see well enough with irons to Really know how well either shoots. With a front rest and a really small thin front post I have done around/less than an inch at 75 with 6.7 of Solo 1000 with both 124s and 158s Hornady XTP bullets. Both the Marlin and the Cimarron/Uberti shoot really well.

The Cimarron came with a terrible crap trigger but cleaned up with no problem to a clean break at around 3#. I have little skill with triggers and I am sure that it could be improved upon by anyone who has some "skills...." The Marlin got a WW trigger and new springs and the trigger on it is pure sex. The Marlin trigger is very noticeably better than the 1873 (which is not bad at all.)

I will continue to shoot the Cimarron Deluxe Sporting Rifle as it is considerably heavier and just "hangs" better - for me.

I paid premium prices on both of my rifles and don't regret buying either one of them.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer