32 H&R from 32-20 lever rifle?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

32 H&R from 32-20 lever rifle?

Post by TheBugFather »

I have a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 that I'm thinking of having about 1" cut off the chamber end and re-chambered for 32 H&R.
Looking for less case capacity and straight wall case for easier reloading and subsonic loads.

One gunsmith said $350 and 3 months, another said no problem and would charge $150 and take 4-6 weeks (he re-barrels lever actions all the time).

I already tested the action will cycle a 32 H&R round okay.

My question is about the legality of doing so, replacing, re-boring and/or re-lining barrels.

As I read the rules, this is in a gray area, it would be optimal if I started with a 25-20 (smaller bore), and relined (re-bored) it for the larger 32 H&R.

In my case I'm re-chambering the 32-20 to a "larger" caliber being that a 32 H&R is a higher power or pressure cartridge, that is a little bit of a stretch. :-?

Looking for peoples thoughts.

I like messing around with ballistics, as many of you know, not that I'm a master class shooter.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Re: 32 H&R from 32-20 lever rifle?

Post by Ojaileveraction »

The intent of the rule (3.1.3b)seems obvious in the rule but the verbiage lets in the lawyers.
Last edited by Ojaileveraction on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I think so also, I know that Marlin makes a 1894 in 32 H&R, but technically even it isn't listed on the list of Pistol cartridges along with the newer 327 Fed Mag. Both are used in our sport, be it on a limited bases.

Here is a snip of a conversation I'm having with another person as to why I'm even trying this.
They asked why I don't just use a 327 Fed Mag. which I think is great for our game:

Half the stuff I do is to play with the physics of the game.
I like the 327 Fed Mag, only problem is case size increase and brass is harder.
It makes it harder to find a subsonic load that fills the case and has enough pressure to seal the chamber from blow by and still be subsonic. 32-20 and 32 H&R do this well as low pressure cases, just that the 32-20 has too much case volume being from the black powder era and very thin necks.

Dennis
The Bug Father
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dennis as long as you don't replace the barrel you are allowed to do as you want with the chamber. If its an old gun you may want to watch the pressure increase from 32-20 to 32 HR mag.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I’d do it if the extractor and ejector fit with minimal modifications. There is about 030” less rim diameter with the H&R and I expect it could be a problem with fired cases. Simply feeding unfixed brass isn’t a good test.

Why can’t you download the 32-20? Seems like a lot of effort, money, and risk for little ballistic gain.
- Joe
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Joe, good points, I’ve made similar calculations myself and the only two areas that might need a little help are the extractors and the cartridge stop coming out of the feed tube. I actually have a “real” 32-20 Winchester 1892 rifle that I will leave a lone. I plan on working on reduced loads and “normal” ones also for that rifle.

I use ballistic programs like quick load and have a ton of new and old reloading manuals. I find many subsonic loads which would simulate shooting PC targets like I would with the recoil and sight settings of a 22LR.

Main problem for me is almost all the loads are powder charges that fill the case less than 50%. More like 20-25%. I don’t like that because it makes the load position sensitive. And also I have increased my chances of a double or worse load. Plus thin walled bottlenecks vs. straight walled I step carbide sizing dies.

Again, for me it’s all about the physics of shooting. Of course I’ll try powders like trailboss or VV N32c. Maybe even 5744 or CFE BLK but I’m not fond of double base powders.

I just hope to experiment with my theory and not have my rifle then ruled as ineligible.
Thanks for the replies and if anyone else has ideas, I sure would like to hear.

Dennis
The Bug Father
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Dennis
I shoot both 32 mag and 32-20 in pc. I use the same powder charge in both. 3.5 gr of WST. I use 100 gr cast in the mag and 120 cast in the 32-20. Both are just barely above 1150 FPS and are not position sensitive at all. Also both are extremely accurate in every rifle I’ve tried them in. Just saying it might be worth a try in your 32-20 before you go to all the trouble.

Kevin
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Kevin, Thanks for the info!
Dennis
The Bug Father
6mmintl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 6mmintl »

Why not just go with a berrys truncated nose 125 grain copper plated leaD bullet ( behind 8 grs a2400) for the sks in .312-.313" for more knock down.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Working up new loads with the existing 32-20 cartridge is a lot easier than changing the case to HR mag. It takes a lot of patience to find a PC load that works. PC guns are THE MOST DIFFICULT to tune and find consistent accuracy.

I understand your desire to have a full case of power. #1 reason is safety! A double charge of fast shotgun powder may cause problems.

I think you’ll find a full case of Trail boss will work. Trail boss can be thrown. It feels awful as you’re shearing those large flakes. But when I weighed the thrown charges they were quite good due to its bulky property. I predict your velocity will be quite low. Too low to be competitive at ram line

I found 10.5 - 11 gr CFE BLK under Rainier 100gr HP shot very tight. So does 7.5-8 gr LilGun and full case of RL 7. These aren’t subsonic loads but the case is full with adequate pressure to get accuracy. My local buddies use 5.5gr WSF under Hornady 85 XTP and small pistol primer.

Be sure to use hollow point bullets as competitive pistol shooters have proven HP give best accuracy. The theory is the hp moves center of gravity back and balances the bullet

I found The swaged Hp lead bullets by Rainer are very consistent in weight, a problem that plagues commercial cast lead due to air voids.

Work up all your loads using a chronograph and avoid ES exceeding 50 FPS for 10 shots. 2 moa accuracy is adequate for this game across 10 shot string
- Joe
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Your rifle won’t be DQ’d if you rechamber or change the bore diameter. You can’t rebarrel it. I personally want the rules changed to allow a new barrel. I’ve seen A few rifles at National with new barrels. A stainless barrel on a blued receiver is a dead giveaway!
- Joe
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Joe, thanks for the information.

I'm going to work on a load, before I go down the re-chambering road.

But I do love the experiment, just to see if it works.

BTW, I've been a big fan of HP bullets for the same reason for years, plus they increase the seating depth, making it easier to get a subsonic load.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dennis I've been using Unique in my 32-20 and its worked well with every type of bullet I've tried. They only bullets I stopped shooting is cast. No matter how hard it would lead up the barrel. I haven't found anyone who makes a gas checked .32 cal. bullet but that would fix that. Good luck.
NRA Endowment Member
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Another Dang 9, I found some gas checked 32 cal bullets if interested...but about the same price as jacketed.

Dennis
The Bug Father
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Thanks Dennis but I've had a good supply of jacketed for my 32-20. I use a .357 marlin for actual competition. The 32-20 is my fun gun.
NRA Endowment Member