32 H&R from 32-20 lever rifle?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 32 H&R from 32-20 lever rifle?

Post by TheBugFather »

Me too, 357 mag, but I'd like to see if I can get the 32-20 going.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The only issue I have with mine is the short barrel. I do wish we could rebarrel our guns but that would start an equipment race which is exactly why the rule is in place. 32-20 can be super accurate if you take lots of time finding your guns best load but it rarely is "THE" load for someone else's gun. I believe its due to the many different types of rifling and bore size. Even the chambers can vary somewhat. A few .0001( that's millionths)(not thousands) seems to make a big difference in its accuracy.
What edgehit said about seeing SS barrels on guns is what would happen if the rule were changed. Don't know why anyone would do that as it's clearly wrong on so many levels. :ymsick:
But thats what starts equipment races.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thanks, I'll post my results if anyone is interested.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Let us know what shot good for you
- Joe
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:14 pm The only issue I have with mine is the short barrel. I do wish we could rebarrel our guns but that would start an equipment race which is exactly why the rule is in place. 3 is what would happen if the rule were changed.
The no rebarrel rule is dumb, imo. I was told that you can't buy scores in lever silhouette when I first started and I believe that's true. It's the Indian, not the arrow. I doubt anyone would see any increase in their scores just because of a custom replacement barrel. We're shooting old guns and new factory barrels are typically hard to find.

I'm looking for a new factory barrel for 15 year old 94AE and I'm now at a dead end. If I could rebarrel with a custom made barrel, I could participate in the next local match. If I can't find a factory barrel, Im stuck on the sidelines until I find one. The no rebarrel rule is making it difficult for me to participate and I believe that's counterproductive.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

CamP don't know how you burned out a barrel on a 30-30. I've been shooting mine longer than that and it still looks new even under a bore scope. It even has a funny spot in the,bore where the barrel transitions from round to octagonal and it shoots better than I do. You may want to just try recrowning the end and see if that improves it. You may have put a burr at the crown from cleaning which is very common with lever rifles.
NRA Endowment Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I didn't burn it out. It was wrecked by a bad chemical reaction to Shooter's Choice.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

That will do it. I had a black powder rifle (rifled bore) that I forgot to clean. The barrel was junk but I was able to bring it back somewhat by lapping the bore. JP bore paste wouldn't doing it so I went with Clover paste thats used for lapping valves. It's very aggressive and would need to be lapped again with JP to smooth it out afterwards. It never shot as good as new but it still had pie plate accuracy at 100 yards.
NRA Endowment Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

The really bad part is I ruined two good barrels with that stuff before I figured out what was happening. You live and you learn.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I use Butches Bore Shine. I've left it in a barrel for a week without etching the barrel. The brand Bore Tech claims you can leave it in forever without etching and my gun Smith swears by it.
NRA Endowment Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Unfortunately, my Butch's bottle was empty and the local shop had this Shooters Choice on the shelf. Made the fatal error of buying it in a pinch.

My gunsmith also recommends Bore Tech. Specifically, their copper remover.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I tried the shooters choice and the smell alone made me switch. Hoppes it ain't. Butches isn't so pleasant either but its bearable.
NRA Endowment Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

In retrospect, I would have better off just using Hoppes. It doesn't clean copper fouling, but it doesn't wreck barrels either.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Have you tried lapping it with the JP bore paste? The barrels are not going to get any worse...
There are some lapping pastes that are overly aggressive and I would stay away from those but a mild lapping paste may bring back the barrels.
I've never tried the Tubb break in bullets but that may be an option as well. Just a thought.
NRA Endowment Member
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I tried polishing the bore with KG2, but the damage was beyond that so I fire lapped it with the Tubbs bullets. This improved things a bit, but still copper fouls almost immediately. Shoots lights out with a clean barrel, but starts throwing fliers at about 20 shots.